toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

wjbraden is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Your Thoughts About Toonami's Return: A Six Month Retrospective

Like This Thread!
    So within the next couple days, it will have been exactly six months since Toonami's return to United States television. I wanted to make this thread to see what you guys think about this new version of Toonami on Adult Swim and what aspects you like or dislike about the block at this current time. I think it will be interesting to look back on old comments made here in the future and to see whether our consensuses on the block have changed between now and then.

Some topics to comment on include:
    -Your thoughts on the programming acquisitions /decisions Toonami has made since its return
    -The new block packaging/promos Toonami has made
    -How successful you think the block's return has been in terms advertising and drawing in new/old audiences

And of course let's say away from rating things on a scale of 1 to 10 and making comments without any explanations as to why you feel a certain way, so this doesn't become a "list thread".

With that said discuss away. I'll post my thoughts later.

HG Revolution is offline Truth (with crazy opinions!)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The packaging's been awesome. The programming's done some things right but some things wrong. Nice variety but it feels like a weird alternate universe 2006. The fresh draw that Deadman Wonderland had at the block's launch is currently missing.
    Please donate to help with my senior project for school: my senior project! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...ical/x/1210328
    My blog: http://the-lfb.com/author/rbaron/

wjbraden is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's my thought on the acquisitions Toonami's picked up so far:

Deadman Wonderland: A pretty good choice since it was brand spanking new and wasn't out on DVD yet. While I think the series was a little too dark for Toonami and was a little crazy story-wise, I hope Toonami will pick up shows that aren't out on DVD or streaming beforehand. I actually think that Deadman was already slated to air on ASA before Toonami's return, which is a reason why the dark themes of the show felt a bit out of place for Toonami.

Casshern Sins: While I understand that their budget was low, I think Casshern was a really bad move for a number of reasons. For one the show was widely available via online streaming and was out on DVD for quite a while. Also, the fact that the show was slow and had very little plot in the beginning really didn't fit in with the other shows in the lineup. I'm thinking that the Toonami team scrambled to throw something on since they had such short notice that they were putting Toonami back on the air (I think they said they only had like 8 weeks or something). I think they should have gotten Tenchi Muyo GXP then because at least Tenchi aired on April Fools and was a major title for the Toonami band in the past.

Samurai 7: An excellent choice and actually my favorite show on Toonami now. It's action packed and starts off fast from the get-go. I'm a little upset that it's being moved to 2:00am and that Casshern wasn't moved during its run, even though it performed significantly worse than most Samurai 7 episodes. If only this show had aired its dub premieres on AS back in 2006 and had taken Eureka 7's place. I think it might have been the next Samurai Champloo with the right amount of advertising. Oh well...

Eureka 7: I know a lot of people like this show but it should have stayed gone as soon as its first run on AS was over. The pickup of Eureka 7 in 2006 was in my opinion the beginning of ASA losing steam after it had excellent to satisfactory performances from Full Metal Alchemist and Samurai Champloo. I'm thinking that this show was picked up to help out the guys at Bandai, who are now shutting down as we speak. They probably would have gotten Outlaw Star but Mnet has the rights to it currently. Oh well it's at 3:00am now so it doesn't matter...

Sym-bionic Titan and Thunder Cats: Excellent picks even though they sparked the whole stupid "kid's show" argument. We all know that these show would have been on Toonami had it been around at the time of these show's airings and would have fit well. The fact that these shows were free and that they just had to fill out paperwork to get them on was a really smart and productive move.

Tenchi Muyo GXP: I'm not too thrilled with this show but I know Tenchi and Toonami and somewhat synonymous so this was a smart pick. I wish it ans Samurai 7 would switch places but whatever, it still may happen if people get tired of GXP.

Naruto Uncut: This one's definitely a game changer and will hopefully get excellent ratings. It was a Toonami staple for a long time and lot's of people like Naruto, so it's a win-win.

My thoughts on packaging:
    All I can say is, I'm really impressed with the amount of content Toonami's been pulling out in just six months. New animation, over 20 new promos, a bunch new custom intros, new game reviews, new speeches and music videos and even a prelude to a T.I.E.! There been new content for 25 out of 26 weeks since Toonami's return and that's a lot of work for people who don't even get paid for that type of stuff!

And my thoughts on advertising:
    This is something I think that they could work on a little better. I know that it's not up to the Toonami team as to when and how frequently they can air their ads, but I do think that they could perhaps make some "This week on Toonami" type of thing that they do with Family Guy and others.

It would be nice if they could put a Toonami Tubmlr link of the front page of AS.com or at least acknowledge it on their website. I mean if you go to AS.com right and try to look for anything Toonami related on the website, it's like looking through a maze. This should be changed as there's no reason why they shouldn't aren't putting easy-to-find Toonami stuff on there.

All in all I think they're doing a pretty good job. I do think think that they should do little things like putting Toonami stuff on the front of AS.com, since that can be helped even though there budget is low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Haven't watched Toonami in months unfortunately, but before I stopped, I did enjoy Deadman Wonderland, Casshern Sins, and Samurai 7. Stopped mainly due to lack of time since college came up and bite me in the rear. Will try to get back in starting with Naruto (and hope the show is any good).

My experience with Toonami has been good so far.

Light Lucario is offline Moderator
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Despite not being much of a fan of the block originally and I primarily started to watch the block just to be supportive when I was so sure it was never going to come back, I've been really enjoying watching Toonami every week, seeing the different shows and promos it airs and learning any news about the block's development.

Deadman Wonderland was surprisingly entertaining. It was darker and more violent than most of the shows I watch, but it still seemed interesting to watch the story's progression. It was kind of like a popcorn movie in the sense that I'd just watch it for the entertainment value and I honestly don't think that I could watch it again, mainly because of the gore, but it was relatively decent all around and it was a good idea to go for a show that wasn't available on DVD. I can understand why going for shows that aren't already available on DVD might be too problematic due to their budget issue, but I would like to see more of that in the future if the situation does allow for it.

Casshern Sins was an interesting choice and I did end up liking it more than Deadman Wonderland once it finished. I don't think it was necessarily a good choice for the block. I don't think that being available through DVDs, online streaming and Funimation Channel really hurt it significantly. That probably didn't help, but since it wasn't a popular series to begin with, I don't think that a lot of people had already seen the whole series through those other means. Casshern Sins was its own worst enemy with its slow pace during the first half of the series. I liked the themes and ideas it brought up, but it was probably too slow paced to appeal to the audience that usually watches Adult Swim, especially when I could understand why people were dropping it during the first few episodes. It did get significantly better by the second half when the pace wasn't as slow and it did have a really fitting conclusion, but ratings wise, this might have not been the best choice for Toonami, or at least not for its initial lineup. It might have had a bit more of a chance after the block established itself a bit more.

Samurai 7 is easily my favorite of the new shows that they've acquired and second to Brotherhood as my favorite show on the block in general. Some of the episodes can move a bit too slow, but it is still generally fun to watch the storyline unfold, see how the group dynamics change with each new character being introduced and the action has been great. It's a really fun show.

Eureka 7, despite all of the praises I have heard about it, has yet to do much for me. I do like a couple of the characters and it looks nice, but it's really hard for me to be engaged in what's going on if I'm basically as lost as Renton is. I've heard that other people had similar reactions to when they first saw the series, but that, along with not having a good history of ratings, does make me question if it was a good choice for them to pick up again. They probably wanted to go for a Bandai show, but they probably could have done with something else if that was the case. I'm still willing to watch the show to see if it works for me, although through Hulu since I don't want to stay up later for it, but it hasn't left a significant impact on me in the episodes that have aired on the block thus far.

Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats were a couple of nice surprises, along with the block being expanded. While I'm not a huge fan of either show, I like how they added a bit more variety to the block so that it wouldn't be all anime and it leaves the door open for other action animated series that have a significant adult audience to join the block. Sym-Bionic Titan thus far has been more entertaining than I remember when I first watch it and even though Thundercats did end up disappointing for me, it has been nice to rewatch the earlier episodes of the series, especially the premiere.

Tenchi Muyo GXP was a terrible choice to pick up. That might sound a bit too harsh since they've only aired the first two episodes and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt by saying that it could get better later on, but the first episode left a terrible impression on me and while the second one wasn't as bad, it certainly didn't change my opinion about the show. The humor is too forced for me to laugh at, the characters have been boring and nothing about the storyline thus far has grabbed my attention. It just doesn't seem like something that fits on the block. If they wanted to go for a more light-hearted/comedy series for the block with this show, which in theory sounds like a nice way to continue to add some variety to it, I'm sure that Funimation had plenty of other shows that were in their budget range.

Naurto was a surprising choice and actually one of their best choices so far. It's an already established Shonen series and airing it uncut will help to give it more ratings. I'm still not sure if I'll actually watch it, although I'm leading towards not watching it at the moment since it didn't really appeal to me that much when I saw it before, but either way, it was a good choice for them ratings wise.

As for the promos, I really like how much they've been able to do with reusing some of the old promos and the fact that they were able to provide new content for so long with such a small budget and so few people working is amazing. I don't watch Adult Swim outside of the block, so I don't know how often it is advertised, but more advertising during the weekdays couldn't hurt. While it still has issues, some of which are out of their control due to their budget issues, I have enjoyed watching Toonami and I do give the people in charge of the block credit for being able to put it together with the limited amount of money and people to work with. That's pretty awesome.

TheCtes is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think my biggest enjoyment is to see how the Toonami team aren't just doing this for the money like it seems with most programming stuff these days, but they're really putting their heart to it. They care about it personally and they care about their fans, that's great to see. I love their promos and everything and they're doing a good job with what they have.

It was nice to see a fresh show like Deadman Wonderland, and even though I didn't like that show as much as most other shows on the block, I think they should get more new shows like that. It gives a fresh feel to the block. Casshern didn't start out very good imo, but the second half was surprisingly good, and I ended up liking it quite a bit. Even though it's stuff that they already had on their channel, Brotherhood, Stand Alone Complex and Bebop are all excellent shows that definietely deserves a place on the block, and it was really nice to see them again. It's good that they had something as big as Bleach to lead off the block. I do myself want to get into that franchise at some point. Samurai 7 is not my thing really, but I can see the quality in it and I can understand why others enjoy it, so I'm perfectly fine with it being there, and it is enjoyable now and then for even me. Toonami gave me the chance to finally check out Eureka 7 and I'm really grateful, because while the first small bunch of episodes didn't do much for me, it has gotten really strong. It's really too bad that it's not performing that well. Putting the cartoons up was a solid choice, it was nice to see them again, especially Titan. I really don't like their choice of putting Tenchi on the block, because while Universe and some of the original OVAs are fine, I don't like the franchise and I find GXP to be the buttom of it. I can see why they got it though, because Tenchi was a big name on the block back in the day, though the same name but with everything completely new just wont do. But it's fine, just for the sake of completion. Having InuYasha at the 5am hour suited me perfectly. I don't like it very much because I think it drags on too much, but I get to go an hour earlier to sleep and variation is good! Naruto is a really solid choice. I've watched it all before but it's awesome to have it back. I think that's it's definietely their best choice for a show yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wjbraden View Post
    Casshern Sins: While I understand that their budget was low, I think Casshern was a really bad move for a number of reasons. For one the show was widely available via online streaming and was out on DVD for quite a while. Also, the fact that the show was slow and had very little plot in the beginning really didn't fit in with the other shows in the lineup. I'm thinking that the Toonami team scrambled to throw something on since they had such short notice that they were putting Toonami back on the air (I think they said they only had like 8 weeks or something). I think they should have gotten Tenchi Muyo GXP then because at least Tenchi aired on April Fools and was a major title for the Toonami band in the past.

Samurai 7: An excellent choice and actually my favorite show on Toonami now. It's action packed and starts off fast from the get-go. I'm a little upset that it's being moved to 2:00am and that Casshern wasn't moved during its run, even though it performed significantly worse than most Samurai 7 episodes. If only this show had aired its dub premieres on AS back in 2006 and had taken Eureka 7's place. I think it might have been the next Samurai Champloo with the right amount of advertising. Oh well...
    I think you're being way too subjective here because these two are basically in the same boat with pretty much everything you criticiced Casshern about. Casshern didn't perform significantly worse, pretty much the same actually taking slots into consideration. Samurai 7 has only been ahead by a little, and when the Samurai 7 episodes got high numbers it was still dropping a lot off from Bleach.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCtes
    I think my biggest enjoyment is to see how the Toonami team aren't just doing this for the money like it seems with most programming stuff these days, but they're really putting their heart to it. They care about it personally and they care about their fans, that's great to see. I love their promos and everything and they're doing a good job with what they have.
    This.

The fact that Jason DeMarco and his team are putting in so much effort into this block is amazing to see. They've actually managed to outdo my expectations in everything but ratings and what shows they pick (although I liked almost all of their picks I got to see so far).

It's no wonder why Toonami was such a legendary block back when we were growing up, because of how much work was put into it. Great shows, high-end 3D visuals, fantastic promos, the list goes on.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Deadman Wonderland: A great, strong pickup to jump-start Toonami's return. It's a shame it had to be so short, though. It had so much plot, but too little time to explore it. I hope the manga picks up again after the author is done with her hiatus and we can hopefully see more anime episodes produced down the line.

Casshern Sins: A mixed bag. This is the exact inverse of DW: Very little plot and way too much time. This series really could have been cut in half; several episodes and characters didn't even matter--they either died or we never saw them again. When the series focused on its plot and tone, it worked really well. The episodes that meandered were painful to sit through.

Samurai 7: I would say this is Toonami's best acquisition this year. It started off a bit rocky, but as it progressed, it got more exciting and engaging. I really can't think of any moments where I was bored or the scene felt deflated in some way. The pacing feels more balanced here compared to the above two shows.

Eureka 7: I'll admit that I haven't been watching this series. During the Adult Swim run, I only made it somewhere around 30 episodes when I had to stop watching due to extensive college work. I'll probably give it another shot when it catches up to where I left off so I can give it a fair judgment.

Sym-Bionic Titan: I watched this show when it originally aired in 2010, and I'm so glad that Toonami has put this on the block. If Toonami wasn't cancelled before this show premiered, this would have fit right in at home, so I'm happy to see it on the revived block. It shows that Toonami is willing to be more diverse than just a block of anime.

ThunderCats: I didn't watch this show when it originally ran last year, and now that I'm seeing it, I'm glad that Toonami picked this up. This show is much better than the 80s series, which I personally thought was mediocre.

Tenchi Muyo! GXP: Terrible. Toonami clearly purchased this for nostalgic value. They could have picked something else from the Tenchi franchise and it would have been better by default. Clearly the black sheep of 2012.

Naruto: I'm on the fence about this show. It had potential when I started seeing it back when it first aired, but that potential was mostly squandered. It fell into the trap of many other long-running shonen where the characters hardly develop (or develop poorly) and we have to deal with increasingly lengthy arcs. It'll probably be a ratings success, but since I've seen all the way to where the canon ends, I don't think I'll be tuning in.

Beefy is offline It only hurts forever.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm absolutely blown away by the amount of content (shows, bumpers, game reviews, music videos) that we've gotten in just six months.

I remember back when Toonami was on CN we would only get a new game review about every 2 or 3 months. Now we're getting at least 2 per month. New bumpers are showing up every month and sometimes every week.

If this is what Toonami can do with a limited budget, I can only dream of what they can do if they had money (Sara, Clydes). My heart goes out to Steve Blum, Jason DeMarco, and all the staff working on Toonami who are doing it out of love.

ASA was stagnant since 2010 when they switched to HD and got rid of all the old ACTN bumpers. Toonami was a phenomenal way to revive ASA and has made Saturday nights fun to watch again.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.