toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SRB2Unleashed is offline Dragon Ball obsessed
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Truth about TOM 4

Like This Thread!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd9bKPlTlU

I guess what other people said the reason for his design was is bullcrunky.
    Follow me on Twitter: @AwestruckVox

I'm gonna work at Adult Swim one day

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They didn't have the technology to make faces?

Then how do they explain Miguzi, which premiered 3 years earlier?

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's a good point but maybe they were thinking it was too soon to revamp TOM with the move to Saturday night so they revamped Sara and the scenery instead and saved the revamp of TOM for the 10th anniversary which by then they probably fully expected to get to.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Toon Master is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't get why people still need to bring TOM 4 up over and over again. Maybe you liked this design or maybe you didn't, but that really doesn't matter anymore because he's gone and we are never going to see him back ever again. People keep trying to act like TOM 4 was the biggest mistake the world has ever seen and he really wasn't. Forget about him and call it a day.

I'm not saying it was a mistake to post this. I'm just saying that I think people need to get over TOM 4 and that everybody has needed to get over him since 2007.

I just don't understand why there was a need to find out who created the idea for TOM 4. Do some people really care this much about something everyone seemed to hate?
    Hahahahahahaha, wahohohohohohohohohohohoho....hahahahaha..ha........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRB2Unleashed View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJd9bKPlTlU

I guess what other people said the reason for his design was is bullcrunky.

Wasn't this always the case? They said so in an past interview. From what I remember, Sean always wanted Tom to have a fully animated face but they couldn't due to lack of technology in the beginning. Once they had the technology, they changed his design. Of course, fan reaction was negative. I find visors to be cool piece of character design imo. When they took that featureaway from TOM, he looked really lame as a result.

SRB2Unleashed is offline Dragon Ball obsessed
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by c@rt00nguy26 View Post
    Wasn't this always the case? They said so in an past interview. From what I remember, Sean always wanted Tom to have a fully animated face but they couldn't due to lack of technology in the beginning. Once they had the technology, they changed his design. Of course, fan reaction was negative. I find visors to be cool piece of character design imo. When they took that featureaway from TOM, he looked really lame as a result.

People were saying for years that Snyder wanted a kid-friendly version of TOM. I was curious and asked DeMarco about it. I remember that interview, it aired on TV correct? If not I watched it online (that was the video that led me to search for a HQ rip of TOM 3 with the red guitar and I STILL can't find it) and I remember Sean saying he always wanted TOM to have a face, but honestly, they could've just had TOM 3 occasionally take his 'helmet' off.
    Follow me on Twitter: @AwestruckVox

I'm gonna work at Adult Swim one day

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here's that video of Sean talking about the 07 redesign.
    The saddest part is, that yeah...they took away any real "cool" factor TOM had, period.
    Some of those pre-production designs looked pretty neat though, ala the TOM with a slimmer build than TOM 3 but still had the face.
    Twitter / Tumblr
    Toonami. The first and still the best. 03/17/97-09/20/08, 04/01/12, 05/26/12-
    Rurouni Kenshin 15th Anniversary Thread

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SRB2Unleashed View Post
    I remember that interview, it aired on TV correct? If not I watched it online
    It was on Jetstream.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

El-Hazard is offline I like birds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From the sound of it, a lot of genuinely honest hard work went into making this version of Toonami. I'm honestly a little bummed out for them that it didn't reach the level of fan appreciation that they wanted it to.

Toon Master is offline Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Hazard View Post
    From the sound of it, a lot of genuinely honest hard work went into making this version of Toonami. I'm honestly a little bummed out for them that it didn't reach the level of fan appreciation that they wanted it to.

It sure does seem that way, but I don't think anybody wanted the old Tom to go so people put up a fuss about Tom 4. I honestly never thought Tom 4 was as bad as people said he was besides the fact that he looked like a kids toy, but we don't have to worry anymore because Tom looks as good as ever nowadays.
    Hahahahahahaha, wahohohohohohohohohohohoho....hahahahaha..ha........

El-Hazard is offline I like birds
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon Master View Post
    It sure does seem that way, but I don't think anybody wanted the old Tom to go so people put up a fuss about Tom 4.
    I agree. I think for the most-part, we were just fine with TOM 3.
    It was a bit of a surprise when they announced the new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Toon Master View Post
    I honestly never thought Tom 4 was as bad as people said he was besides the fact that he looked like a kids toy, but we don't have to worry anymore because Tom looks as good as ever nowadays.
    I never hated him either.
    Sure, I preferred TOM 3, but TOM 4 didn't make me wanna puke blood or anything.

I liked the two new characters they had, but I did miss SARA.

Mister Miracle is offline The Best Kept Secret
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toon Master
    I don't get why people still need to bring TOM 4 up over and over again. Maybe you liked this design or maybe you didn't, but that really doesn't matter anymore because he's gone and we are never going to see him back ever again. People keep trying to act like TOM 4 was the biggest mistake the world has ever seen and he really wasn't. Forget about him and call it a day.

I'm not saying it was a mistake to post this. I'm just saying that I think people need to get over TOM 4 and that everybody has needed to get over him since 2007.

I just don't understand why there was a need to find out who created the idea for TOM 4. Do some people really care this much about something everyone seemed to hate?
    Tom 4's smile still haunts me!! I can't fall asleep, some nights!

Now that the real Tom is back I sleep well and satisfied!
    I-I'm not Orange! ZEROOOO! *collapses*

C.C.: (to Lelouch) No matter how great you make yourself sound, you're still just a naive boy who's all talk and who only dreams of victory in his head.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    TOM4 wasn't horrible. Sure, he didn't look as good as his other incarnations, but he still kept his mannerisms and attitude.

As for the sidekicks...

D was great. He was like a slightly darker, punchier TOM. Him and TOM4 should have just run the block on their own.

I didn't like Flash. He came off as a bit too chipper and out of place. He felt more like he belonged on Miguzi than Toonami.

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daikun View Post
    TOM4 wasn't horrible. Sure, he didn't look as good as his other incarnations, but he still kept his mannerisms and attitude.

As for the sidekicks...

D was great. He was like a slightly darker, punchier TOM. Him and TOM4 should have just run the block on their own.

I didn't like Flash. He came off as a bit too chipper and out of place. He felt more like he belonged on Miguzi than Toonami.
    I pretty much agree with the above.

That being said, I still much prefer the TOM2/3 look.

DarkMaster is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    :anime: I love tom2 favorite drawing

PublicEnemy is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The Toonami years from 2004 to 2008 were a train wreck.

Everything about Tom 4 was just a failure and its nice that he isn't part of the Toonami canon.

Its crazy to me that DeMarco and everyone else was okay with the look. The look and feel of it is anti Toonami.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Toonami was no trainwreck until the network decided to make it one. The debut 2004 lineup was all good stuff, and 2005-06 had a lot of good lineups. It wasn't until late 2006 that the lineup began deteriorating, and what got the block killed wasn't the look, it was lack of support after the look debuted, when the premiere programs shifted elsewhere and left Toonami with just Naruto ultimately.

Everything Toonami had was either cancelled or stripped away from it gradually after the summer of 2007. Two potential Toonami-saving programs, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, and sci-fi actioner Kiba, never got to air on the block for various reasons (Kiba never got off of Jetstream, and Moribito, despite being picked up initially to save the block, was dumped to Adult Swim by the Snyder/Sorcher regime who wanted nothing to do with the show).

There was a well-publicized leak in 2007 when Toonami was going to return to four hours, with Storm Hawks and Fantastic Four premieres, two hours of Naruto, One Piece, and DBZ (probably being a placeholder for Moribito) were all going to run. But when Cartoon Network's head of acquisitions, Jennifer Davidson, died just weeks into her tenure (only picking up Moribito before she died), and left the network in Snyder and Sorcher's hands completely, they were ready to depart with the block, Toonami never got its four hours back, and it died less than a year later.

While a lot of people took it personally, Snyder and Sorcher wanted to leave their own mark on the network, and Toonami was a leftover from not one but THREE previous regimes who all decided to keep it going in various capacities. Egos killed Toonami.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Beefy is offline Get to work Toei!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    While a lot of people took it personally, Snyder and Sorcher wanted to leave their own mark on the network, and Toonami was a leftover from not one but THREE previous regimes who all decided to keep it going in various capacities. Egos killed Toonami.
    And what mark would that be? CN Real? Hall of Game? Toonami lasted longer than many things before and after it.
    ASF: You will download Adult Swim promos and intros because we told you to.
    [bump worthy]: You will download Adult Swim bumps because ASF doesn't have them.
    ---------------------
    Welcome back Toonami. I hope Adult Swim treats you better than Cartoon Network did.

macattack is offline I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    And what mark would that be? CN Real? Hall of Game? Toonami lasted longer than many things before and after it.
    Then why do you think Toonami was originally neglected and then killed, if not because Toonami didn't go with the direction Snyder and Sorcher wanted it to?

At least if Toonami dies now the only people we can blame are ourselves for not watching.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

The Man in Black is offline I have 5 of broats
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In regards to TOM4, this thread is pretty amusing

About 4 years ago Toonami ended. Tom left the base with a bang as it blew up behind him. The explosion took the lives of everyone inside including Flash and D.
    Now those 4 years weren't easy on Tom. Being unemployed during a recession really hit him hard.

Unable to purchase any food Tom was forced to eat nearly every Clyde on the planet. Tom's poor diet caused his body to deteriorate and rust.
    Every Saturday night he would steal a bottle of whiskey hoping he could drink away his problems. Sometimes he would even attempt suicide.

Around early April after outcry from fans Adult Swim tracked down Tom and offered him a new contract. They agreed to give him a new body and ship but at a cost.
    The block would be on a low budget so that Tom could visit a rehab center on weekdays. All of the computers in the Absolution were sold just so they could purchase new shows.

As for Sara

A little after the Tom 3 era she was forced to become a prostitute. As of now nobody knows her whereabouts.

So that's what happened to Tom 4, the clydes, Sara and why the block is on a low budget.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast