toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  
Loading

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 46 of 139 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 460 of 1389

Thread: Toonami Ratings

  1. #451
    Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidInuyashaFan
    Yes it is. Even if you are confused with SD wide-screen vs HD wide-screen from what you see on YOUR TV, there should be no doubt when you record it to DVR. An HD record is nearly 3 times the size of an SD one. CN has not been airing HD programs regularly on it's HD channel since 2008. They regularly air SD wide-screen on their HD channel. That is different than 4x3 stretched. I don't know about Bebop. I will have to record it on the HD channel this weeked to see. Bleach though is 4x3 stretched on the SD channel & SD wide-screen on the HD channel.
    No, E7 is NOT proper HD. Jason DeMarco even confirmed before that E7 wouldn't be in HD back when it was announced to air on the block. Like Sketch said, AS simply stretched the SD 4:3 image into 16:9. As for why it takes more space on your DVR, not only was the image stretched but it was upconverted. An upconverted stretched image does not equal proper HD.

  2. #452
    TheCtes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidInuyashaFan View Post
    The most likely succcesor to Bleach is probably Naruto Shippuden & if that's the case I expect TOONAMI to add NS before Bleach runs out. One Piece is just not popular enough at Hulu even to consider it a future anchor for the block. Ideally, [as] would get a long commitment out of Boondocks so when NS becomes the lead it has new Boon to help it out, but that seems unlikely. [as] can burn off the NS english ep's that have already aired on DXD while Bleach is still airing & groom NS to become the lead with english premieres. I have no doubt that if TOONAMI were to get NS it would be available in HD on their HD channel. It's just a question of when NS becomes available to be licensed for basic cable again.
    Uhh, I wouldn't say Naruto Shippuden is any more likely than One Piece. Not popular at Hulu has nothing to do with them considering it, and to be honest the reason One Piece is not that popular there is because FUNimation has it up on their site free for everyone to watch. One Piece fans watch it there not on hulu. You'll probably find this to be the case with most FUNimation shows. Also, JasonDeMarco has previously mentioned interest in One Piece, and has talked about Naruto Shippuden as very unlikely.

  3. #453
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    17,599
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCtes View Post
    I'd say Fairy Tail or the new Hunter x Hunter. One Piece would work, but it would also be too far behind the original to get it like that.
    I just started to watch some Fairy Tail On Demand and I think it could work as a more light-hearted action series for the block. One Piece could certainly work, but the issue of being so far behind from the original version might be too problematic. Plus, I'm not sure if One Piece would work that well airing on a weekly block at this point, but I'd be fine with it coming on the block at some point.

  4. #454
    TheCtes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,386
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Lucario View Post
    I just started to watch some Fairy Tail On Demand and I think it could work as a more light-hearted action series for the block. One Piece could certainly work, but the issue of being so far behind from the original version might be too problematic. Plus, I'm not sure if One Piece would work that well airing on a weekly block at this point, but I'd be fine with it coming on the block at some point.
    I do agree that Fairy Tail is a bit light-hearted, but Naruto and One Piece aside it's probably the "biggest" thing they could get to take over from Bleach. Being a huge fan of One Piece, I most likely am too baised towards it, but I actually do think it could work. The original is currently at 568 episodes, but the dub is only about half of that, so if they aired it for an hour at like 2AM until it was caught up on where the FUNimation dub left CN and then moved it to the front assuming it had done great enough, I think it would work. Well, that would still take a while so perhaps run it in that hour a bit longer. I think that money is the biggest problem with having One Piece there actually. DeMarco called it a personal favorite, I'm sure that if they could get it he'd find a way to give it chance.

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtar View Post
    As for why it takes more space on your DVR, not only was the image stretched but it was upconverted. An upconverted stretched image does not equal proper HD.
    That makes no sense whatsoever. An HD recording consumes nearly 3 times that of an SD recording because THERE is that MUCH more information to record! Do you have proof of DeMarco saying it was SD on the HD channel? If not your opinion is either heresay or misunderstanding. People who work for [as] are certainly far from infailiable as well. As for my proof it's rather simple: 1) the recording space for the program on the HD channel, 2) titantv listing identifies it as an HD program, 3) the difference between an aspect of 4:3 stretched & HD wide is obvious on an HD tv.

    As I have said before, Bleach is SD 4:3 stretched on the basic channel & SD wide on the HD channel. How do I know this? Because there is more of the image on the HD channel. But you can clearly tell that Bleach is still SD on the HD channel. The difference in picture quality between the HD programs : S7, E7, CS, SB-T, & TC vs Bleach is obvious.

  6. #456
    BrianLeague's Avatar
    BrianLeague is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidInuyashaFan View Post
    Do you have proof of DeMarco saying it was SD on the HD channel?
    Before the show premiered, he tweeted that Eureka Seven won't be in HD, but Samurai 7 would be.
    Help Sym-Bionic Titan Get Another Season!
    Find us on: Facebook - Twitter - YouTube - deviantART

    Watch full episodes of SBT here for free! (You don't need to sign into Adult Swim Gold!)


  7. #457
    Light Lucario's Avatar
    Light Lucario is online now Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In a Dream World
    Posts
    17,599
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCtes View Post
    I do agree that Fairy Tail is a bit light-hearted, but Naruto and One Piece aside it's probably the "biggest" thing they could get to take over from Bleach. Being a huge fan of One Piece, I most likely am too baised towards it, but I actually do think it could work. The original is currently at 568 episodes, but the dub is only about half of that, so if they aired it for an hour at like 2AM until it was caught up on where the FUNimation dub left CN and then moved it to the front assuming it had done great enough, I think it would work. Well, that would still take a while so perhaps run it in that hour a bit longer. I think that money is the biggest problem with having One Piece there actually. DeMarco called it a personal favorite, I'm sure that if they could get it he'd find a way to give it chance.
    I actually don't think it's a problem that Fairy Tail is a bit light-hearted. While the comedy in the few episodes that I have seen doesn't really work for me, having something like that taking over Bleach's slot could be kind of refreshing and since it has the smallest amount of dubbed episodes compared to Naruto and One Piece, it would probably be easier for people to jump into that series. I've liked what I've seen of One Piece and I wouldn't mind it getting on the block, but I do think how long the series is could be problematic for people to get into it. Although, money is probably more of a factor than the amount of episodes there are. I still wouldn't have a problem if they could get One Piece on the block since I only saw the first fifty-two episodes on those single uncut DVDs, as well as the episodes that aired on Toonami back when Funimation first started to dub the series, so I'd be up for seeing more episodes of the series on the block.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree that One Piece at 2A is reasonable. One Piece at 11/12A in 2014 is not. Every one is entitled to their opinion here, but when they make a claim that One Piece does huge #'s at Funimation.com vs Hulu they need to back that up. There are ratings reports on web sites, & I've never seen anything reported for Funimation.com that compares to the millions Naruto manages each week for it's sub premieres at Hulu. It's not hard to look up the hits a site gets on the net. Another tell is what the youtube hits are for some of the anime. One Piece doesn't compare to Naruto in terms of hits. The only area that I'm aware of where One Piece beats Naruto on a weekly basis is torrent activity. One Piece fans are still using fan sub community torrents more so than legal channels to view recent ep's. It doesn't really matter how much the show is a personal favorite of DeMarco. Any show being considered as a lead for the block must prove itself ratings wise. One Piece hasn't done that at legal sites where ratings are tabulated. Furthermore, at sites where both the subs & dubs are available, the subs outnumber the dubs. That suggests OP fans greatly prefer the subs to the dubs. I too am a fan of One Piece, but I'm not nieve to it's ratings potential. I happen to think Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is one of the best anime's spanning more than 50 ep ever. I think it would look amazing on the big screen, but when was the last time it broke 1m? Without a built-in fan base totaling millions, a big budget production is unlikely.

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    277
    Blog Entries
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLeague View Post
    Before the show premiered, he tweeted that Eureka Seven won't be in HD, but Samurai 7 would be.
    Your mother should've told you: "don't believe everything you read." If you have the HD channel you can easily verify it yourself. Record it to the DVR. See how much space it takes up, & then watch it on an HD tv. I've done all that & the evidence is plain to see. It takes up HD program space & looks HD wide on the HD tv. It doesn't show any signs of 4:3 stretched.

    Why any one would consider twitter to be the Gospel truth on a subject is beyond me. It's mainly a source of entertainment & truth has little to do with that. It's an off the cuff response to something. Just because someome says something one day doesn't mean that still holds. I don't think it's possible to manipulate an SD program to fill HD recording space. So that evidence to me is the only Gospel truth on the matter. It's possible that they weren't planning to air in HD on the HD channel, but FUNIMATION changed their mind at the last minute. Lastly try thinking of it in terms of common sense. Given that both HD S7 & E7 are available it makes no sense for FUNIMATION to offer HD for S7 & not E7 as well.

    Again, don't take my word for it. Record it yourself on the HD channel & see how much space it consumes.
    Last edited by RabidInuyashaFan; 10-20-2012 at 01:26 AM.

  10. #460
    Ishtar is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,713
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RabidInuyashaFan View Post
    That makes no sense whatsoever. An HD recording consumes nearly 3 times that of an SD recording because THERE is that MUCH more information to record! Do you have proof of DeMarco saying it was SD on the HD channel? If not your opinion is either heresay or misunderstanding. People who work for [as] are certainly far from infailiable as well. As for my proof it's rather simple: 1) the recording space for the program on the HD channel, 2) titantv listing identifies it as an HD program, 3) the difference between an aspect of 4:3 stretched & HD wide is obvious on an HD tv.

    As I have said before, Bleach is SD 4:3 stretched on the basic channel & SD wide on the HD channel. How do I know this? Because there is more of the image on the HD channel. But you can clearly tell that Bleach is still SD on the HD channel. The difference in picture quality between the HD programs : S7, E7, CS, SB-T, & TC vs Bleach is obvious.
    Keep in mind that Bleach's SD 4:3 image is a letterbox of the proper 16:9 image, and the HD feed stretching does not remove the letterbox. E7 has no letterboxing whatsoever on either feed. You're confusing a stretched 4:3 image and a stretched 4:3 image that has letterboxing. As I said before, the CN HD feed simply stretched the picture and upconverted it. The upconversion therefore makes the recording space larger like any other HD program. The picture may look better, but it is not proper HD as intended. Only having SD masters of E7 would make sense because that was all AS had of it back in 2006, when HD programming on the channel was non existent. It's obvious that they're using those same SD masters from 2006, hence the same edited opening at the beginning of each episode. I'm not sure if E7 was even produced in HD to begin with, as the only official release has been 4:3 on DVD and not anamorphic widescreen. And cmon, are you really going to argue with the block's co-creator? I would think the guy is well aware of the video masters they are using. He definitely seemed to be confident with what he was talking about. Also, FUNimation only has the rights to E7 AO, and not the original E7. Bandai still has the rights, and they were the ones who sold them to AS once again.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

 
toonzone quick jump
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO