toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Should Adult Swim take 6 am?

Like This Thread!

I'm of the opinion that Adult Swim should never get the 8 pm hour and should probably give up 9 pm but lately I've been thinking AS getting 6-7am would not be a bad thing, particularly on Saturday to add an hour of action.

A conservative guess would be for King of the Hill to occupy 6-7am if AS got that hour. But that would add a 5 am hour where they could run more of the neglected shows and maybe even action shows. That or they could simply extend the first run to 2AM to air another half hour of originals in the first run. However, the first run weekens around 1 am as it is so adding an hour after the encores and DVR Theater would probably be better for ratings.

CN currently airs Looney Tunes at 6 am and I'm pretty sure that is to catch the HH watching KotH at 5:30 am. Perhaps Looney Tunes and The Flintstones could be part of a 6 am hour of Adult Swim on weekdays? They are sure to do better with 18-49 than kids so they would be better for AS than CN at that hour.

Ideally they'd trade 6 am for 9 pm but AS will not give up 9 pm as long as it is still among the top rated networks in PT with 18-34 and 18-49. Though CN could probably be in the top list for PT among kids demos if it got that back, advertisers are more interested in adults at 9 pm.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

TnAdct1 is offline !!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I'm against this idea for one main reason: there's going to be some kids getting up and getting ready for school at that hour (be it due to school starting at the 8:00 AM hour or having to travel a distance to get to school). As such, kids may want to watch some cartoons before heading out. While I can see airing something like Looney Tunes for Flintstones on that block, the bigger issue involves advertising and the bumpers, and personally, I don't see this working due the possibility of the bumpers and ads (especially those for horror flicks) making the kids feel uncomfortable.
    Joe Klemm
    Toon Addict for Life and "gated community" member since August, 2002.

"ph34r t3h cute ones" -Megatokyo

veemonjosh is online now The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, when I was in elementary school, I used to wake up at 6am and watch cartoons.

Putting Adult Swim at 6am would just lead to complaints from parents and, at worst, boycotting.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it? You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure. (Updates Bi-Weekly! Newest: 4/11 - Megazone 23 Part 3/Final)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't think they have troublesome ads in the 5 am hour and the KotH bumpers are not overly bizzare but it has been a while since I checked what kinds of ads run in that hour.

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

Toonatic is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    Yeah, when I was in elementary school, I used to wake up at 6am and watch cartoons.

Putting Adult Swim at 6am would just lead to complaints from parents and, at worst, boycotting.
    I agree, leave the 6am timeslot for CN. Plus, I don't even see Adult Swim taking that timeslot.

Daikun is offline Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No. Adult Swim is long enough already, and there are two problems with another expansion:

1) Who would stay up late enough to watch that hour? It's strenuous enough to watch TV till 6AM.

2) What would they put in that hour? If the 9PM expansion is any indication why further expansions are pointless...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ah but the potential is in the 5 am hour. KotH at 6 am frees up 5 am for more obscure additions.

Or 6 am AS could be populated by Looney Tunes and The Flintstones where their adult appeal is beneficial to ratings. On Tuesday at 6 am Looney Tunes drew around 600,000 18-49. That's dang impressive.

6 am seems like it may do better than 9 pm.