toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C&C - Anything Else [4/8-4/14]

Like This Thread!
    April 8th
    9:00/4.00 King of the Hill
    9:30/4.30 King of the Hill
    10.00:5.00 Robot Chicken
    10.15/5/15 Robot Chicken

10.30/1.30 Family Guy
    11.00/2.00 Family Guy
    11.30/2.30 Loiter Squad
    11.45/2.45 Robot Chicken
    12.00/3.00 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    12.15/3.15 Mary Shelley's Frankenhole
    12.30/3.30 Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule
    12.45/3.45 Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!
    1.00/5.30
    Frisky Dingo
    1.15/5.45 Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

April 9th
    9.00/5.00 King of the Hill
    9.30/5.30 King of the Hill
    10.00/1.30 American Dad
    10.30/2.00 American Dad

11.00/2.30 Family Guy
    11.30/3.00 Family Guy

12.00/3.30 Robot Chicken
    12.15/3.45 Robot Chicken
    12.30 The Boondocks
    1.00/4.30 Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    1.15/4.45 Tim & Eric Awesome Show, Great Job
    4.00 12 Oz. Mouse
    Minoriteam

April 10th
    10.00/1.30 American Dad
    10.30/2.00 American Dad

11.00/2.30 Family Guy
    11.30/3.00 Family Guy
    12.00/3.30 Robot Chicken
    12.15/3.45 Robot Chicken

12.30 The Boondocks
    4.00 12 Oz. Mouse
    Minoriteam

April 11th
    10.00/1.30 American Dad
    10.30/2.00 American Dad

11.00/2.30 Family Guy
    11.30/3.00 Family Guy
    12.00/3.30 Robot Chicken
    12.15/3.45 Robot Chicken
    12.30 The Boondocks
    4.00 12 Oz. Mouse
    Minoriteam

April 12th
    10.00/1.30 American Dad
    10.30/2.00 American Dad

11.00/2.30 Family Guy
    11.30/3.00 Family Guy
    12.00/3.30 Eagleheart
    12.15/3.45 Childrens' Hospital
    12.30 Delocated
    4.00 Delocated
    Delocated

April 13th
    10.00/1.30 American Dad
    10.30/2.00 American Dad

11.00/2.30 Family Guy
    11.30/3.00 Family Guy
    12.00/3.30 Robot Chicken
    12.15/3.45 Robot Chicken
    12.30 The Boondocks
    4.00 12 Oz. Mouse
    Minoriteam

April 14th
    9.00 King of the Hill
    9.30 Children's Hospital
    9.45 NTSF:SUV
    10.00 Loiter Squad
    10.15 Check It Out! With Dr. Steve Brule
    10.30 Family Guy
    The Boondocks
    11.30 Aqua Teen Hunger Force

11.45 Aqua Teen Hunger Force

12.00 Bleach
    12.30 Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Durarara
    Kekkaishi
    2.00 FLCL
    Cowboy Bebop
    Big O
    Ghost in the Shell
    Bleach
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    5.00 Durarara
    Inuyasha

Sprocket is offline Problematic.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Boy, Boondocks still brings in the ratings, eh? My money's on a revival/new season sometime in 2016 when Black Dynamite and Transformers Prime finishes up.
    "Breaker breaker, Sidewinder, this is Party Pooper, don't want to be a ratchet jaw, but looks like we got a seat cover feeding the bears in a chicken coop come on."

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocket View Post
    Boy, Boondocks still brings in the ratings, eh? My money's on a revival/new season sometime in 2016 when Black Dynamite and Transformers Prime finishes up.
    Yup. Well, a new season is coming. Supposedly its going to be 20 episodes long instead of the usual 15.

sl4
    sl4 is offline Still posting for some reason
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This Saturday night, a friend and I sat through the first two hours of Adult Swim's current anime block (12 to 2am, i.e. everything before the super-late reruns of older shows start) and we were just astounded at how unwatchably bad it had become.

The overarching theme between Bleach, FMA: Brotherhood, Duradura!!, and Kekkaishi was a complete and total lack of any attempt to clarify the story or give any meaning whatsoever to the episodes' events for people who hadn't already been religiously following the shows from the first episode.

Bleach was a half hour of extended fight scenes that had no meaning out of context and during which absolutely nothing of note happened, and FMA: Brotherhood was mostly a half hour of plodding conversations in a setting that had no real significance to a new viewer; Kekkaishi managed to somehow be the worst of all, and I can only describe it as a more boring version of Naruto, filled to the brim with all the cliche anime "jokes" you've all seen 50,000 times since the mid-90s, and inexplicably broadcast on a block ostensibly aimed towards adults (presumably because kids would not be stupid enough to watch it).

Duradura was the only one of the four that we were able to find remotely interesting at all, and even that was mostly just because it was more visually stylish than the other three. Oh, right, and it wasn't shonen.

Williams Street should have learned their lesson about shonen on AS ten years ago when Yu Yu Hakusho attracted all the wrong demographics and had to be moved to Toonami to become profitable. For some reason, though, they've been apparently picking up almost nothing but shonen series lately, and then wondering why none of them are successful beyond their tiny pre-existing audience.

It couldn't be much more obvious that the biggest reason for Adult Swim Action's piss-poor ratings is that they fill their block with shows that offer nothing whatsoever to entice or accommodate new or unfamiliar viewers, tend to be painfully "~~anime~~~" cliche in the worst ways, and that also just kind of suck.

I can only assume at this point that somebody in the acquisitions department has fallen asleep at the wheel.
    Esselfortium
    Hear my music online (for free)

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4 View Post
    -snip-
    Things may turn around soon...

Hopefully...
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 8/8 - DBZ Battle of Gods Dub Discussion)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

sl4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by veemonjosh View Post
    Things may turn around soon...

Hopefully...
    I don't know. The bland packaging was disappointing in and of itself (there's not even bumpers telling you what shows are on next? wtf? are they that embarrassed to announce the garbage they're airing these days?) but Toonami bumpers aren't nearly enough to make ASA remotely worth watching again. "Lipstick on a pig" and such.
    Esselfortium

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hey guys check out these ratings

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art...ient-List-.asp

Adult Swim was #1 with total day for 18-34 and 18-49 and #3 for total viewers

It was also #3 for prime time 18-34 and #7 for prime time 18-49

Turner actually has 4 networks in the top 10 for total day in total viewers, 18-34 and 18-49 and 3 networks in prime time for those demos as well.

Disney and Viacom may have major bread winners but the combined strength of those 4 Turner networks is quite impressive.

I guess Adult Swim doesn't have to be so concerned with doing better in prime time on Saturday and Sunday nor be so concerned with doing better late nights on Saturday. Weekdays line-up keeps a tight ship and the rest can afford to slack behind a bit without much concern for losing their positions. Seems they could stand to try some a little crazy like reviving Toonami on Saturday. What have they got to lose? It's already their lowest rated night. If they could work out some aggressive deals with anime distributors they might be able to make more money from anime than they currently are rather than continue to let it be a money pit and a bit of a pitty play for the sake of doing something different 6 hours a week. If they are content to do that, they may as well do it well.

Quote Originally Posted by sl4 View Post
    This Saturday night, a friend and I sat through the first two hours of Adult Swim's current anime block (12 to 2am, i.e. everything before the super-late reruns of older shows start) and we were just astounded at how unwatchably bad it had become.

The overarching theme between Bleach, FMA: Brotherhood, Duradura!!, and Kekkaishi was a complete and total lack of any attempt to clarify the story or give any meaning whatsoever to the episodes' events for people who hadn't already been religiously following the shows from the first episode.

Bleach was a half hour of extended fight scenes that had no meaning out of context and during which absolutely nothing of note happened, and FMA: Brotherhood was mostly a half hour of plodding conversations in a setting that had no real significance to a new viewer; Kekkaishi managed to somehow be the worst of all, and I can only describe it as a more boring version of Naruto, filled to the brim with all the cliche anime "jokes" you've all seen 50,000 times since the mid-90s, and inexplicably broadcast on a block ostensibly aimed towards adults (presumably because kids would not be stupid enough to watch it).

Duradura was the only one of the four that we were able to find remotely interesting at all, and even that was mostly just because it was more visually stylish than the other three. Oh, right, and it wasn't shonen.

Williams Street should have learned their lesson about shonen on AS ten years ago when Yu Yu Hakusho attracted all the wrong demographics and had to be moved to Toonami to become profitable. For some reason, though, they've been apparently picking up almost nothing but shonen series lately, and then wondering why none of them are successful beyond their tiny pre-existing audience.

It couldn't be much more obvious that the biggest reason for Adult Swim Action's piss-poor ratings is that they fill their block with shows that offer nothing whatsoever to entice or accommodate new or unfamiliar viewers, tend to be painfully "~~anime~~~" cliche in the worst ways, and that also just kind of suck.

I can only assume at this point that somebody in the acquisitions department has fallen asleep at the wheel.
    You know the odd thing is generally shounen does very well for Adult Swim. It has ever since InuYasha. Yu Yu Hakusho was perhaps bumped too prematurely given that but IMO it was better off on Toonami at the time even if it could have aired with less censorship on AS but times changed and so did Toonami and not for the better come 2006.

Kekkaishi is the kind of show that has no business airing on Adult Swim but somehow it managed to beat Family Guy 3 times on Saturday and kept most of the Bleach viewers when it was airing right after it. The reruns have been doing reasonably but it's not worth renewing so they had better drop it after this run finishes if not before that because it's quickly becoming dead weight because it lacks replay value.

FMA: Brotherhood was a given with the success of FMA but it did not meet those expectations and the sooner it finishes it's current run and leaves the better. I waited for the dub rather than watch the simulcast but found myself uninterested in the dub when it aired so I just stopped watching. I might watch it some day but I have better things to watch right now.

Durarara seemed great for a while but the slow start and then the dramatic change in direction and focusing on the teenagers made the second half a lot less interesting to me and I felt like it kind of drove off a cliff in the end. Not bad but not as good as I was hoping it would be. It did pretty reasonably in ratings despite that.

I do feel Adult Swim should be aiming for more episodic mainstream appealing shows and not relying solely on shounen for "more mainstream" anime and dialogue heavy sleep inducers for "more mature". I don't particularly mind that they don't go after shows with a bunch of fanservice but I would like a mature series with a lot more action in it. Shizuo occasionally throwing something and getting into a fight was usually the highlight of Durarara for me. It's an action block so it's pretty reasonable to expect action.

Those 3 shows did quite a bit better than some that came before it including very popular series such as Death Note and Code Geass. Those two did awful on Adult Swim despite their massive popularity at the time.

I suppose part of the problem is very few anime really appeal to people who are not already anime fans but there are some out there still and Adult Swim should be aiming to pick those up.

With a once a week block going for several long shows is limiting your potential audience a great deal as well as blowing a ton of money on shows that may not even do well at a once or twice a week pace. So I'd suggest going for 26 episode shows and even 12 to 13 episode shows for the most part and having at most 2 long running mainstays. InuYasha is past it's prime so I'm not counting that. With only 26 new episodes left it can be done pretty soon but Bleach might need a friend and that's probably coming down to DBZ, One Piece, Naruto Shippuden or maybe Yu Yu Hakusho. DBZ managed to keep almost all of Bleach's viewers on 4/1 but I wonder how One Piece or Shippuden would do in the same position. My preference would be for One Piece. It's the show with the most need for a TV broadcast at this point. Naruto Shippuden will continue to sell without one but One Piece is getting iffy.... but I wear my adoration for One Piece on my sleave so I'm bias. The old mainstay DBZ still has what it takes though and it should be under consideration because of that.
    Last edited by Sketch; 04-12-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

sl4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wouldn't get your hopes up to ever see DBZ, One Piece, or Naruto on AS in any serious context. They may be misguided, but I doubt they're that misguided.
    Esselfortium

AndrewSP is offline Toonami is back
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sl4
    I wouldn't get your hopes up to ever see DBZ, One Piece, or Naruto on AS in any serious context. They may be misguided, but I doubt they're that misguided.
    One Piece is the only one of the three that even has a remote chance of showing up. Dragonball Z has run its course (even if its ratings almost equaled a new Bleach episode) and I doubt Cartoon Network would even touch Naruto now, after they let it go once and even Disney XD has given up on it.

Even so, the challenges of a One Piece Toonami/Adult Swim run may be too much to even give it a shot. I'd watch it if it came on, but I'm fairly sure it won't. There are plenty of newer shows AS would and should go for.
    Is Toonami a failed experiment?
    Watch on Saturday nights at midnight and show Adult Swim that it's not.

Building a Better Cartoon Show. Only Toonami.

animePWNS is offline 1951-2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ASA Line of the Night: 4/7/12

Spoiler:

Bleach 248
    Haineko: For some reason, old ladies like yourself always seem to be way way too confident. And what's with that outfit? Is that supposed to look good?
    Yoruichi: Little girls like you don't understand the allure of a real woman!
    Haineko: No, we just don't understand really old women!
    Tobiume: Haineko, let's not waste anymore time with insults.
    Oh, hai, Adult Swim.
    1/4/10: Reached 1000th post milestone
    4/1/12: Thanks to Adult Swim and Toonami, this date will live on as: Best. April. Fools. Day. Ever.
    6/3/12: 2000 posts