toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Matt Hazuda is offline Nerfariously planning Zombie Bites Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    Yes having Jason take over acquisitions and the action block or at least having him help with that would already put ASA on a better foot than it has been.
    Kim Manning has been a giant anchor to the block for years now anyways. Outside of getting Brotherhood, all she does is basically shoot down anything that could actually bring in new viewers while bringing in stuff that's really subpar or middling at best.
    Yup. It's a signature. Go away if you're expecting something interesting here.

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey guys, let's try to keep this thread about either details related directly to writing to TPTB about Toonami or a heart filled post about why Toonami need to be back in your opinion.

We have two other threads to gossip about the happenings about Toonami. A thread that's dedicated to "telling your side of why Toonami needs to be here" is a fun --- let's call it "TZ Project". It would be really fun to be able to print off a thread about why Toonami needs to be back and mail it via snail mail to Cartoon Network / Adult Swim / William Street / Turner Broadcasting.

That being said, a thread filled with chit chat, gossip, theories, etc isn't going to carry the same impact I hope this thread should.

I've tried to keep myself contained and on topic in this thread, but I'll wholly admit, the allure of talking about the recent happenings has had me posting things in this thread that probably shouldn't have been. I've actually gone and remove my other comments in this thread for that reason.

It would be really cool if a mod could add a message on the first post about keeping on topic in this thread and possibly link the other two discussion threads.

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In reply to Karl, while DBZ wouldn't make the biggest sense because of Kai on Nicktoons, it in reality would. DBZ is what people MOST identify with Toonami, and as sad as it is to general anime fans who appreciate Kai's uncut dub, if you scan through Twitter or YouTube? Those casual fans of DBZ pretty much hate Kai, it's the sad truth but oh well.
    Twitter / Tumblr
    Toonami. The first and still the best. 03/17/97-09/20/08, 04/01/12, 05/26/12-
    Rurouni Kenshin 15th Anniversary Thread

Sketch is offline not like those other old guys
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It would be interesting if they did air DBZ or Kai for that matter. I'm not really a fan of starting DBZ from episode 1 but doing so with Kai would be easier to sit through.

It would be something to see them start DBZ with the Buu saga. I'd very much welcome that because DBZ isn't the kind of show that's confusing if you didn't see previous seasons. It's pretty straight foward and Kai is out there so people have seen at least up to Cell for the most part. If Nicktoons can skip to GT then Adult Swim can skip to uncut Buu.

I think people would eventually get over not having DBZ there but maybe I'm wrong about that... those adults who grew up watching Toonami love them some DBZ.

Maybe some Outlaw Star, Tenchi or Gundam would make it "Toonami enough". It would be for me but then again Toonami to me is not any batch of shows but rather a unique experience watching good action cartoons.

Do you like making Fantasy Schedules? Come check out Elsewhere

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

macattack is online now I see you!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Personally, I wonder if this finally opens the door for that Hellboy animated series that's been shopped around. Toonami has never been solely for anime, and Hellboy on an Adult Swim-ized Toonami would likely be awesome. And there's always the DC DTVs that are too violent/mature for normal Cartoon Network as well. And the HBO Spawn series if they can figure out a way to make that fit into a normal timeslot.

And yes, Jason DeMarco in charge of running Toonami and the Toonami acquisitions? The block would totally kick ass. Heck, DeMarco is even a pretty decent DJ too so Toonami can have a soundtrack all to itself. I think some of the tracks on AFD were brand-new tracks by DeMarco.

Really, the sky's the limit here if they do this right. But I do think that Toonami can't just be nostalgia. Though it's pretty obvious that FUNimation is raring to go with Trigun and Yuyu Hakusho considering the brand-new masters on AFD, so I think those two series would be leading candidates for the rebuilt Toonami. But above all else Toonami needs new stuff. Bleach is not enough.

Quite possibly the easiest way to give Toonami more time and premieres would be to pull the preceding two hours before Bleach and give it to Toonami and make them Naruto Shippuden and One Piece hours. Naruto Shippuden and One Piece uncut would likely get a ton of viewers, they have a zillion episodes dubbed, and neither of them are as violent as Bleach so they can run earlier. Plus Naruto Shippuden is probably the one anime out there that would get ratings comparable to Family Guy on Saturday.

Another "almost-Toonami" show that would be good for a run would be Last Exile. Toonami actually tried to get that one in 2004 but TechTV outbid them. They could run that and then run Fam -The Silver Wing immediately after LE's run is finished. That's 48 episodes of content.

But really, the sky's the limit. Adult Swim would give Toonami a much shorter leash than Cartoon Network will ever give it, and if they do put DeMarco in charge the block would have little holding it back. If they got Akins involved again there would virtually be NOTHING.
    Last edited by macattack; 04-05-2012 at 01:44 AM.
    There's a million ways to hush my voice
    And a million ways to kill my thoughts
    Maybe I'm all that you fear
    I'm a stargazer
    My eyes see differently - Blood Stain Child; "Stargazer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While a lot of people want Uncut Naruto Shippuden and One Piece on it, I'm really iffy. If Toonami was on weeknights? SURE! It'd be great, but if it's ONLY Saturday night? Honestly, I don't want either, especially for how far both series are already in terms of their episode count.

In terms of a long-running shonen series? I can easily see Fairy Tail working. (Note: I haven't watched Fairy Tail, I watched the first 2 episodes dubbed and enjoyed it).

OH, and...let's not forget; people DO still wanna see InuYasha: The Final Act to air dubbed.
    Twitter / Tumblr

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm watching Fairy Tail right now as I type this (BD set borrowed from a friend) and it likes to beat around the bush with stories and really isn't as good as One Piece or Naruto Shippuden in my opinion. But it is... the least exposed of the 3 and that does count for something.

I really don't see any of them doing as well as Family Guy in the same slot. Not even Bleach could do that. But ratings are not in fact everything. If they made money on the broadcasts other than ratings revenue then they may be willing to hand those 9PM-12AM slots to Toonami. But for the now I wouldn't expect a different time slot than the usual 12AM-6AM. The 2AM-6AM portion of that needs the most help ratings wise. 10PM-12AM is pretty strong for Saturday now that Family Guy is at 10:30 but the 9PM hour is one of the weakest hours of the night still.

Read ramblings from myself and other animation and comic enthusiasts on The Scratch Pad

KarlOlson is offline Art Imitates Life
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/bd-p/toonami

That is a Toonami board on the official [as] boards.

This could be back a lot sooner than I think. That or they are aiming to mine as much data as possible in bringing this back. I don't know who is running [as]/CN these days, but the responsiveness here is almost scary. I waiting to be screwed over some how.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I believe that went up late Saturday night though.
    Twitter / Tumblr

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Olson View Post

http://boards.adultswim.com/t5/Toonami/bd-p/toonami

That is a Toonami board on the official [as] boards.

This could be back a lot sooner than I think. That or they are aiming to mine as much data as possible in bringing this back. I don't know who is running [as]/CN these days, but the responsiveness here is almost scary. I waiting to be screwed over some how.
    Wow --- at this point if they don't at least replace the bumpers --- I'll be super surprised.

Given --- my tag line since this started is that wont magically make Saturday nights good --- but lets face it --- its not a bad start.

So wow --- either they reset passwords when they shifted over to the new boards (which I dont doubt) or I have no idea what password I was using 6 years ago when I registered my account for their forums >.<

Either way this inspired me to actually want to go post over there a bit.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul
    I believe that went up late Saturday night though.
    Yes. Though if they were going to call it a day, I think they would have removed that board by now. They are probably using it to get more response and they surely are getting it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh! You guys wanna talk online campaigns? The Change.org petition is over 10,000 signatures already.
    Twitter / Tumblr

Shawn Hopkins is offline TZ Member of the Year 2013
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Pretty awesome that the official Adult Swim twitter account has responded tho this with a "stay tuned." Maybe something will happen. Adult Swim Action is something I avoid altogether anyway, but maybe the fun Toonami branding would make it more interesting, revitalize it a bit.
    Here's the deal, I'm the best there is. I wake up in the morning and I urinate excellence. And nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a big hairy American winning machine.

I'm very humble, too.

trance2009 is online now Fun to play with not to eat
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    They may as well go ahead and do it considering the interest they've garnered. I know they like to use Saturday night for running gags regarding ratings, but why not put it to better use?

Djm912 is offline GREETINGS, GENTLEVIEWERS!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trance2009 View Post
    They may as well go ahead and do it considering the interest they've garnered. I know they like to use Saturday night for running gags regarding ratings, but why not put it to better use?
    Because they'd no longer have the running gag?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2