toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 31 of 61 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Like This Thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew T. Hingson View Post
    I don't see why it would be. Good show but it stinks of unecessary comedy infusion. Venture and Dynamite are more suitable but as they can and will air on other nights, no need to include them in Toonami, maybe all 3 as pre-Toonami but not within Toonami even if it started at 9.
    I agree that Toonami shouldn't have these shows if it starts at 12am, but that's because there are really only two good hours to air premieres after that point (12-2) and [adult swim] has access to too many action shows aimed towards adults to not show during 2-6. Not to mention my hope that they cycle in some "classic" Toonami programming in the 2am hour.

But Toonami has aired shows with comedic elements before. Powerpuff Girls and Bobobo-bobo-bobo come immediately to mind. Not to mention even more "serious" action fare have had significant comedic moments like Dragonball and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Comedy and action can mix on Toonami and has before, but the shows have to have premises or content that warrants a place on Toonami. The Boondocks is really iffy on that regard, but The Venture Bros. and Black Dynamite seem to fit the bill. And it's always good to have variety on any lineup, and these shows are easily accesible to [adult swim], so there's no reason to scorn their placement on a [adult swim] Toonami unless they are reruns taking away timeslots better used for anime premieres.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

j32885 is offline Suprieme Communicator Of MAVO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adult Swim, Toonami Talkback: April 01, 2012

During Toonami’s “Golden Era” circa 1999-2001 with TOM/TOM-2 had the following blocks:

Regular Run (Weekdays): 4:00PM-7:00PM
    Midnight Run II (Weeknights): 12:00AM-1:00AM
    Rising Sun (Saturday): 9:00AM-12:00PM
    Midnight Run (Saturday): 12:00AM-5:00AM

You also had all of these great shows kicking it into high gear:

• Batman: The Animated Series
    • Batman Beyond
    • Big O
    • Blue Sub #6
    • Cardcaptors
    • Dragonball (Emperor Pilaf-Tournament Saga)
    • Dragonball Z (Saiyan-Great Saiyan Man Saga)
    • Gundam (0079, 08th MS Team, 0080, & Wing)
    • Reboot
    • Robotech
    • Ronin Warriors
    • Sailor Moon (Season 1-Super S)
    • Superman: The Animated Series
    • Tenchi Muyo! (OVA, Universe, & In Tokyo)
    • Thundercats
    • Voltron

Again this was back circa 1999-2001, and that was a lot of Toonami!

After 2002, Toonami would stay confined to weekdays 4:00PM-7:00PM, and would lose the Saturday blocks and the Midnight Run to Adult Swim. April 17, 2004 came, and Toonami would make the jump to Saturday running from 7:00PM-11:00PM. Then Toonami died on September 20, 2008.

Here's my 1st question….

Would Adult Swim Comedy play nice and give the new Toonami (Adult Swim Action) the 1:30AM-6:00AM weeknight spots?

Here’s what you got currently…

Adult Swim (2012)
    Sunday: Comedy
    Monday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Tuesday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Wednesday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Thursday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Friday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Saturday: Action

AS seems to favor this right now: Comedy > Action.

Here’s what I’m hoping for…

Williams Street TV (2012-2013)
    Sunday: Adult Swim
    Monday: Adult Swim/Toonami
    Tuesday: Adult Swim/Toonami
    Wednesday: Adult Swim/Toonami
    Thursday: Adult Swim/Toonami
    Friday: Adult Swim/Toonami
    Saturday: Toonami

Here you got a more balance programming, than you currently do now.

Just looking at the current Adult Swim Action lineup, the following shows would work better on Monday-Friday vs. just being played once each Saturday.

Monday-Friday + Saturday:
    - Bleach
    - Full Metal Alchemist
    - Ghost In The Shell
    - Inu Yasha
    - Kekkaishi

Saturday
    - Big O
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Durarara
    - FLCL

As a viewer, I would probably tune in to watch a more balance out programing block, than what we have right now.

Here's my 2nd question….

Does Tuner Broadcasting have the resources to launch another Cartoon Network channel, namely a Williams Street TV Channel?

We all know, not everyone can get Boomerang in their local TV markets. I’ve always thought a Williams Street Channel would give the group a place to grow, where as being on Cartoon Network expansion isn’t possible.

Toonami’s Original Mission Statement: “The Revolution”

Since Toonami’s departure, “The Revolution” has gone elsewhere somewhat….

-Disney XD (Naruto Shippuden)
    -Nicktoons (Avatar, Dragonball Z: Kai, Dragonball GT, Monsuno, & Voltron Force)
    -HUB (Batman, Batman Beyond, Duel Masters, GI Joe, My Little Pony, & Transformers)

A lot programming seen elsewhere resembles Toonami circa 2003-2008. I know these shows skew younger, but also have older fan-bases that don’t get counted. With the creation of these channels, certain programming that were once the norm on Toonami won’t likely be back on the new block.

In conclusion, IF Toonami does truly come back it will be Edgy. It will also be current with its audience and target market.
    "MY fault? How is it MY, Twiddle? I guess its true what they say, Twuzz; you get what you pay for." - L.B. The Bounder, Teddy Ruxpin

"AND HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU, MY NAME IS TWEEG!!" - Jack W. Tweeg, Teddy Ruxpin

Cartoon X is offline Lum the Forever
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j32885 View Post
    During Toonami’s “Golden Era” circa 1999-2001 with TOM/TOM-2 had the following blocks:

You also had all of these great shows kicking it into high gear:

• Batman: The Animated Series
    • Batman Beyond
    • Big O
    • Blue Sub #6
    • Cardcaptors
    • Dragonball (Emperor Pilaf-Tournament Saga)
    • Dragonball Z (Saiyan-Great Saiyan Man Saga)
    • Gundam (0079, 08th MS Team, 0080, & Wing)
    • Reboot
    • Robotech
    • Ronin Warriors
    • Sailor Moon (Season 1-Super S)
    • Superman: The Animated Series
    • Tenchi Muyo! (OVA, Universe, & In Tokyo)
    • Thundercats
    • Voltron

Again this was back circa 1999-2001, and that was a lot of Toonami!

After 2002, Toonami would stay confined to weekdays 4:00PM-7:00PM, and would lose the Saturday blocks and the Midnight Run to Adult Swim. April 17, 2004 came, and Toonami would make the jump to Saturday running from 7:00PM-11:00PM. Then Toonami died on September 20, 2008.

Here's my 1st question….

Would Adult Swim Comedy play nice and give the new Toonami (Adult Swim Action) the 1:30AM-6:00AM weeknight spots?

Here’s what you got currently…

Adult Swim (2012)
    Sunday: Comedy
    Monday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Tuesday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Wednesday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Thursday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Friday: Comedy/Comedy Reruns
    Saturday: Action

AS seems to favor this right now: Comedy > Action.

Here’s what I’m hoping for…

Just looking at the current Adult Swim Action lineup, the following shows would work better on Monday-Friday vs. just being played once each Saturday.

Monday-Friday + Saturday:
    - Bleach
    - Full Metal Alchemist
    - Ghost In The Shell
    - Inu Yasha
    - Kekkaishi

Saturday
    - Big O
    - Cowboy Bebop
    - Durarara
    - FLCL

As a viewer, I would probably tune in to watch a more balance out programing block, than what we have right now.

Here's my 2nd question….

Does Tuner Broadcasting have the resources to launch another Cartoon Network channel, namely a Williams Street TV Channel?

We all know, not everyone can get Boomerang in their local TV markets. I’ve always thought a Williams Street Channel would give the group a place to grow, where as being on Cartoon Network expansion isn’t possible.

-HUB (Batman, Batman Beyond, Duel Masters, GI Joe, My Little Pony, & Transformers)

A lot programming seen elsewhere resembles Toonami circa 2003-2008. I know these shows skew younger, but also have older fan-bases that don’t get counted. With the creation of these channels, certain programming that were once the norm on Toonami won’t likely be back on the new block.

In conclusion, IF Toonami does truly come back it will be Edgy. It will also be current with its audience and target market.
    The answer to the first question is "unlikely." Comedy is prefered by [adult swim], and the FOX shows do well even in the comedy repeat slots. They wouldn't give Toonami 1:30-6. It'd be nice if they gave Toonami at least a 1 hour weekday block though, maybe 12-1 although that's still unlikely.

The second question's answer is "possibly." Turner could make a Williams Street channel, they certainly have the library to do so. But the thing is...an [adult swim] channel would basically be TBS with more cartoons. They might as well air [adult swim] stuff on TBS, althought they don't for no good reason. [adult swim] shows also don't have a lot of hours under their belt usually. Things would get repetitive fast. We have Boomerang as an outlet for Turner's massive but underused cartoon library...it'd just be more feasible to make [adult swim] and Toonami classic blocks for that channel and try to attain more subscribers for it.

A Toonami channel is more likely if Turner/Cartoon Network allied with a notable anime distributeur like Funimation and utilized the entirety of their own action libraries. But that won't happen unless Turner buys out an anime company outright or something, which is something I doubt they'll ever do.
    Aspiring Animator. A Toonami Faithful since January 2005, and proud fan of Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo since October 2005. Wig Out. Stay Gold.

Evo
    Evo is offline Agent of Providence
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by j32885

My Little Pony? On Toonami? It's not really an action show. I know it was it's fans, but still. Not really a show I would associate with Toonami.

Sent from my iPod touch using toonzone

jlaking is offline Brainiac is someplace
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthammer View Post
    Its sad Funi lost their channel, but in the scope of Toonami, that could mean a lot of good things.
    The FUNimation Channel is still around.
    If you want the FUNimation Channel, click here for more information (remember if there is no demand for it, you will never get it).

Pogorikifan24 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Well, I could only say YuYu hakusho (since its that only show i can tell, or heard of...), but its already a possibility to be in it, and i remember it a bit as a little one (at least like 3 or 4 in my memory).

Zatch Bell! is a no way to be in it... (i think someone pretty much saids it) I know i say it alot, But heh..

It could be nice to see some old and new in the revival block.. Bleach is kind of one of them for new episodes (since i never seen it alot on it), But i can see like 4 or 5 New ones on Toonami, but most of it would be reruns of old ones.) And it could be a nice take in to be mix. And it would be awesome to see some movies at times, or maybe months. But i really hope its a yes.

Soul is offline Mainly Lurking Now...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Pogorikifan24
    Why do you keep bring up Zatch Bell?
    It got cancelled from the original Toonami line-up and Viz never finished dubbing it, plus?
    It's not really a good fit for "Toonami on [adult swim]", more classic stuff from the early era sure, but Zatch Bell? Really? No.

Paradox295 is offline Chicks dig it, dude!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hoooold up.

Getting too far ahead.

It's very unlikely we'll start with Toonami on weeknights. And it's also unlikely we'll see it in future, due to the fact that The Cleveland Show will hit adult swim in 2013.

Personally.. I'm kinda thinking we should have nothing but Fox shows on weeknights. Then have Toonami on Saturdays and Adult Swim on Sundays...

Outside the US? Subscribe to these International News Threads!
    Cartoon Network - Adult Swim

Lighthammer is offline Bringer of the Light
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    WHO-A ---- a lot to respond to here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon X View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. When Toonami was on Cartoon Network, action shows like Ben 10 and Totally Spies aired out of the block, after all. [adult swim] doesn't even classify The Boondocks as an action show, but as a comedy, so that makes it somewhat unlikely that they'd put it on a new Toonami. Especially one limite to 12am-6am on Saturday nights. But if they extended the block, I think The Boondocks has enough action-y elements to warrant a place on the revived Toonami.
    Ben10 got a very limited attempted run on Toonami and was pulled QUICKLY. After the fact, we learned Cartoon Network didn't want Ben10 associated with Toonami as the fate for the block had already been all but sealed.

Totally Spies, while a great series, never aired on Toonami.

Both series DID run on Miguzi though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toonami

Quote Originally Posted by Cartoon X View Post
    I agree that Toonami shouldn't have these shows if it starts at 12am, but that's because there are really only two good hours to air premieres after that point (12-2) and [adult swim] has access to too many action shows aimed towards adults to not show during 2-6. Not to mention my hope that they cycle in some "classic" Toonami programming in the 2am hour.
    Why oh why are so many people locked into this funk of thinking Toonami is going to start at 12:00.

Sure the "First run" just might --- but when they start thinking about acquisitions on a scale that would make a kick ass Saturday night block --- do you REALLY think they are gonna spend a lot of money to air shows so far off the radar? NO! That's like throwing money away. Would you throw a couple of thousand dollars away?

Its not realistic to think that's going to happen right of the gate. There's been *A LOT* of discussion on this topic and I sadly agree its going to be hard pressed getting Cartoon Network to sign off on that many time slots.

I think we should be looking at Boomerang for some possibilities. Flinging that around the Adult Swim boards has actually gotten some interesting feedback.

Not sure if that's what you're gunning for but figured I'd point that out.

It probably depends. Family Guy has actually gotten better ratings on its second airing at night then its first. KotH gets superb ratings at 5A.

It does, but its too costly without Toonami REALLY proving its mettle. Even after that, you have to be afraid of Easter famine.

Boomerang is actually in more homes then Cartoon Network these days. Boomerang is carried as a lower tier for all of Comcast, Time Warner, Direct TV, 4Cable, Verizon FIOS among other national cable companies.

Looking towards Boomerang might resolve some answers. Andrew and I (more credit to Andrew then I) actually theorycrafted a plan where many of the classic cartoons on Boomerang could PROBABLY continue to air on Turner Classics and make room for using Boomerang more the way that Nick uses Nick Toon or Disney uses DXD.

All and all however, this comes down to Cartoon Network / Adult Swim / Boomerang / William Street / Turner Broadcastings ability to play nice.

I gotta be clear on a few things there.

DXD kind of realized post tense that grabbing Naruto was a mistake on their part. THEY weren't willing to run the more graphic episodes. It caused them a lot of problems but in the end, it might have made it cheaper to acquire if Disney still doesn't have their claws in it.

Avatar is a Nick series. It will *NEVER* be on CN. Voltron Force is a disaster, it should stay on Nick where it needs to die. Making a NEW (truly kick ass) version of Voltron would be fun to do for Toonami though.

As far as the Hub goes --- they made their channel for their shows. Those things aren't going ANYWHERE.

Quote Originally Posted by jlaking View Post
    The FUNimation Channel is still around.
    It might TECHNICALLY still be alive, but the only major venue who carried it, Verizon FIOS cut it in march.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4231646AAip6RB

Pogorikifan24 is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul View Post
    @Pogorikifan24
    Why do you keep bring up Zatch Bell?
    It got cancelled from the original Toonami line-up and Viz never finished dubbing it, plus?
    It's not really a good fit for "Toonami on [adult swim]", more classic stuff from the early era sure, but Zatch Bell? Really? No.
    I will admit its my favorite.. And i know about it not every episode of it was dubbed, and its not a well fit at all. But, like i said.. Someone already pointed it out about it. Sorry if i say it about it alot, or so...