toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Zach Logan is offline We are Maji!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

C&C - Astro Boy - "The Birth of Astro Boy" [7/13]

Like This Thread!
    Let's get this started.
    THE UNOFFICIAL ONE PIECE PODCAST
    Host, Editor, Founder
    onepiecepodcast dot com
    Join us at facebook.com/onepiecepodcast
    Adult Swim Chief Mod and Cafe Toonzone Mod since 2006

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aside from the episode being on AS Video, the episode airs late Saturday/early Sunday morning at 2 am Eastern.

D Dubbs is offline Wish Upon A Star
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how well an old school anime will do in the ratings at a more watchable time.

I am looking forward to watching it. I wonder if AS will ever get around to airing all 193 episodes. It should take us about 4 years at this pace...
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

Space Cadet is offline I'M SWEATING
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dubbs View Post
    Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how well an old school anime will do in the ratings at a more watchable time.

I am looking forward to watching it. I wonder if AS will ever get around to airing all 193 episodes. It should take us about 4 years at this pace...
    I don't think they dubbed all 193 episodes though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm, I guess you're right. Only 104 were dubbed. I wonder if that means some episodes just weren't aired or some were spliced together or something else. Whatever happened, 89 episodes is a rather large amount of episodes to skip. It's almost half the series.

EDIT: Whoa, just noticed this. Apparently the episode on AS Video is 26 minutes in length. AS will probably have to edit some out then, I suppose.

Then again, it is airing at 2 a.m. so maybe they can leave it uncut.
    Last edited by D Dubbs; 07-13-2007 at 11:55 PM.
    "If some have learned something that is fine. If others have learned nothing that is fine as well, more importantly...it was fun, right?"
    - Master Norb

Golgo13 is offline Sup?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    GO GO GO ASTRO BOY!

This is proof enough that Adult Swim is much better then Cartoon Network for making such radical scheduling. Makes me pine for the days when they'd show Speed Racer weeknights at 10.
    "Just say everything stinks and you'll never be wrong."
    -Wilbur Cobb, Ren & Stimpy

Ace Goodheart is offline Strong, Digilent, Fearless
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    *Inevitable Ace Goodheart appaerance*

Or the days when "G-Force" aired 6 days a week WITH late-night encores to boot! Or when CN was testing the waters for what today is entirely Adult Swim territory-late-night weekends, and aired (Streamline Pictures dubbed, chopped up for time and content) a block of anime movies in 1995! How's about them apples?

By the time "Speed Racer" came on in the Spring of 1996 however, CN had already knocked "G-Force" from it's brief crown and disowned it, burying it on late nights and weekends only which is strange seeing as Speed Racer was not only an older (1967 as opposed to 1986) dub but an older show. Apparently it was a big winner for CN as they aired several all-day marathons of it, specifically before the premiere of the Dexter's Lab episode "Mock 5". After "The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest" and later Toonami premiered though, Speed Racer too was buried but at least kept it's primetime slot for a while later. By the summer of '97, "G-Force" was airing only ONCE a week on CN- Saturday afternoon during the weekend "Super Adventures" block. I think that when CN debuted it's then-new "Powerhouse" look and motif that summer was when "G-Force" was finally canned as they wouldn't bother creating new bumpers for it..........hasn't been available in it's entirety in the U.S since.

Rant notwithstanding, I look forward to seeing the U.S's first anime and Mr. Fred Ladd's first anime project. A question about "Gigantor", how many episodes of "Iron Man 28" were dubbed for it, and did AS ever air all of the available episodes? And how about "Voltron", have they pulled the same stunt Toonami did a decade earlier and only aired the Lion episodes? Man, people sure hated those Vehicle eps didn't they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Goodheart View Post
    A question about "Gigantor", how many episodes of "Iron Man 28" were dubbed for it, and did AS ever air all of the available episodes? And how about "Voltron", have they pulled the same stunt Toonami did a decade earlier and only aired the Lion episodes? Man, people sure hated those Vehicle eps didn't they?
    They dubbed 52 episodes of Gigantor and I believe AS did get around to airing all of them. For Voltron, AS's run actually was shorter than Toonami's, as AS only got to episode 50.
    - Master Norb

veemonjosh is offline The Fruit Shogun
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dubbs View Post
    Whatever happened, 89 episodes is a rather large amount of episodes to skip. It's almost half the series.
    They mostly skipped a random episode here or there, and then skipped large chunks towards the end.

Also, IIRC, all the episodes except for this first one were dubbed in some strange order.
    What do you get when you put three friends in a recording booth once a week, screen old anime, and tell them to make sense of it?
    You get the Anime of Yesteryear Podcast! Tune in each week as we kick back and discuss anime of old, both the well-known and the obscure.
    Updates Bi-Weekly! (Newest: 8/18 - Animazement 2014)

Also on Toon Radio every Thursday at 10pm EST!

Daikun is online now Long Live the Fighter!
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wow! This show is awesome! I think it even exceeds Gigantor. Instead of a bunch of self-contained episodes, this actually has a story! And a well-done origin to boot.

Some of that animation is actually quite funny to watch.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast