toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    vegetable is offline tastes good with buffalo sauce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The Parents Television Council found Moral Orel

Like This Thread!

Took them long enough. They're slacking if you ask me.

http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publica.../2007/0104.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Bozell
    Shower After "Adult Swim"
    January 4, 2007
    By L. Brent Bozell III

Back in the 1970s, in the Dean Martin Roast era on TV, comedian Don Rickles could get away with saying most anything about anyone. Nothing was safe from his jokes – be it race, gender, religion, professions, personal behavior – nothing. He was billed as a “putdown artist.” He could make jokes about blacks, and Muhammad Ali would be the first to laugh. He could crack wise about alcoholics, and Dean Martin would erupt. He could ridicule those wearing toupees, and Frank Sinatra would dissolve into fits.

Rickles, along with all of his guests, knew what it was to rib – the art of poking fun, and if it was not always gentle, it was good-natured. They never introduced a rancorous note of personal invective. They were professionals, and they had too much class. It is why yesterday’s comedy was funny and relaxing, and today’s is not.

Too much comedy today comes soaked in bile, oozing with cynicism, and when it unloads insults, it means them with a vengeance. Vicious mockery is so common on television today that it’s in danger of seeming blase. Mockery is sometimes so frenzied that the satire doesn’t even come close to resembling the target.

This example is a bit obscure, but worth noting. Cartoon Network switches to its “Adult Swim” format in late night, and one of the oddest little shows is “Moral Orel.” If you haven’t heard about it, some have suggested it’s like the old Lutheran claymation cartoon “Davey and Goliath”... meets “South Park.”

Or just ponder Cartoon Network’s promotional language about Orel, a young Protestant goon-in-training: “His unbridled enthusiasm for piousness and his misinterpretation of religious morals often lead to disastrous results, including self-mutilation and crack addiction.” Nearly every supposedly Christian person in this cartoon is either an idiot or a hypocrite, and often both, especially Orel’s minister.

The creator of “Moral Orel,” a man named Dino Stamatopoulos, is very candid in an interview on the Cartoon Network website. Going to church with his parents as a child was a “nightmare,” and “everyone who went to church was repulsive to me.” He felt like the demonic character Damien in “The Omen,” and agreed with George Carlin’s joke that he liked church because it reminded him there was “something worse than school.” All of that bitterness comes through loud and clear on “Moral Orel.”

Take the concept of marriage, building a lifetime of ongoing love with a spouse. “Orel” writers think that’s a joke. They have Orel’s father define love for his son like this: “Love is a very beautiful, very intense feeling for a startlingly short period of time. Before long, you realize it gets in the way of the really important things in life, like just going to sleep and being left alone.”

In that episode, Orel befriends a dog so lovable that he tells the dog he “makes Lassie look like a heathen.” But when it’s discovered Orel loves the dog more than Jesus, the town’s adults surround the dog and have it killed. Orel’s father says the dog was spreading so much love he was “dangerous.”

This is comedy?

But “Orel” really departs from earth-bound reality when its crazy Christians hit the streets to protest and purify the world for God. In one episode, the plot includes protesters outside a Denny’s-style restaurant, screaming: “Hate! Hate! Hate! When the gluttons put on weight!” A sign claims “God Hates Fats,” and protesters yell at a heavy-set woman coming out of the restaurant, “God hates you, Fatty! God hates you, you’re going to Hell.”

In another episode, Orel joins the uptight town librarian “Miss Censordoll” on a loopy parade of ridiculous rants. It begins with protesting the faithful 1964 movie on the life of Jesus titled “The Greatest Story Ever Told” at the local theatre, since the film is so “boring” it leads people to “whoring.” It gets even more bizarre, as these ersatz Christians stoop to protesting supposedly godless institutions like a blood bank, a coffee shop, and a hospital. It ends with Orel’s crusade to ban eggs from the town.

Perhaps the greatest offense for an entertainment network is that this show doesn’t entertain. It’s not funny. It’s painted in dark, depressing tones. It’s the very definition of heavy-handed propaganda, a cheaply animated “Scared Straight” for Christian addictions. Going to church seems to disqualify you from being capable of love, charity, and the slightest fraction of common sense.

Imagine, if you can, the long stream of producers and actors and writers and artists and executives who work on the assembly line of a TV production like this. No one in this imposing chorus seems to have had a fleeting thought that this series of unfunny, wildly inaccurate smears crosses a line from good-natured ribbing to mean-spirited character assassination.

Paul_Cousins is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vegetable View Post
    This is comedy?
    That is a matter of opinion. Considering I never laughed once when watching it a couple of times, I don't consider it a comedy.

Tash is offline Senior Member Daymare Invaders Champion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I kind of miss the PTC. Their rants are always amusing to read, but I haven't seen any of their articles lately.

Duke is offline Truer Words Were Never Spoken
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Take the concept of marriage, building a lifetime of ongoing love with a spouse. “Orel” writers think that’s a joke. They have Orel’s father define love for his son like this: “Love is a very beautiful, very intense feeling for a startlingly short period of time. Before long, you realize it gets in the way of the really important things in life, like just going to sleep and being left alone.”

In that episode, Orel befriends a dog so lovable that he tells the dog he “makes Lassie look like a heathen.” But when it’s discovered Orel loves the dog more than Jesus, the town’s adults surround the dog and have it killed. Orel’s father says the dog was spreading so much love he was “dangerous.”

This is comedy?
    Yes.

I have to say I'm disappointed. I expect much more from the PTC's take on Moral Orel than "It's not really all that funny."
    Spubman: Defender of the Way of the Spub's Thingy of the Time Being:
    Anime: Miso Soup for the Soul

Kitschensyngk is offline wants to be on your team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    "From the people who brought you Foster's Home for Imaginary Children comes Moral Orel, a work of secular propaganda with a message that religion is as bad as smoking crack!"

Dang, it's just satire of mainstream religion. I was born in a Baptist family and even I think it's funny.

NACHOS CON CARNE | updates Mondays and Thursdays on Cartoons, Dammit!
    POP CULTURE VOMIT BAG! | Latest review: Hanna-Barbera's All-Star Comedy Ice Review Revue
    I review stuff on HubPages.

Conan-san is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was under the impresson that the Moral Orel team were punching people's PERCEPTION of Religion in the gut.

But this PTC guys are a load of people yapping and taking no action. They're sub Jack Thompson.

Tay the Cat is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Right-wing media groups suck.

This "rant" sucks even more.

Oh and BTW, I grew up in the Bible Belt. I currently live in the most conservative county of conservative Arizona. I still find Moral Orel to be hilarious.
    Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/CassieHikari (I'm far more active there these days)

The Myst is offline Truthiness for Springfield
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Orel has the potential to be funny. It just usually squanders it for the exact reason they point out. It becomes more offensive than funny and offensive by itself isn't all that funny.

On rare occasions, Orel has lived up to its potential. "Waste", "Satan", "God's Blunders", and "Pleasure". Unfortunately, it just usually doesn't.

With three out of four of those episodes being from season two, it may be improving. Dino did say season one was rushed.
    "The category is Hydromagnetic Magnetoidal Dimensions. When travelling at a subsonic speed during the last one hour of hypersleep, which vector of the Romulan Nebula will suffer the wrath of the impenetrable quickening? And for extra points, how many wraths to the nearest moulton? Be specific, this is a real question." - Ned Hastings

"It is I, Cloneborg! I have come to destroy you!" -
    Cloneborg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was under the impresson that Morel Orel is a black comedy, it's ment to be wierd and offensive

Actualy, Scratch the comedy, it's entertainment is in watching the trainwreck.

Moto Pete is offline Do You Believe!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i am a methidist young republican Morel Orel is good natured fun

alot of people 45-65 baby Boomers are so mad at there parents for being so hippie or working to harrd and neglecting them they want to hide any bad thing in the name of saving the children, Parents should deal with their own kids and leave us alone

sorry it is early and i hate that some loser who thinks That the Don Rickles was good aand morel Orel is bad They both are attacking what the don't like

The Rat Pack where lushes, raciest ,tied to the mob, treated women like crap but they are the great comedy

anybody with a brain looks at MO and nows they are making fun fo his misguided understands
    2008, 2010 & 2011 TOONZONE FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION
    Owner: Moto Pete

****** Now 2009 Guidelines compliant ****

Wussycat is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Pete View Post
    The Rat Pack where lushes, raciest ,tied to the mob, treated women like crap but they are the great comedy
    Racist? Wasn't Sammy Davis Jnr. in the Rat Pack?

Moto Pete is offline Do You Believe!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wussycat View Post
    Racist? Wasn't Sammy Davis Jnr. in the Rat Pack?
    He preformed with them but they still used racial slurs. Hey there is nothing wrong with that, That was how they felt
    " Sammy Davis Jr., 35, was the 'Pet', tiny and extraordinarily talented as a singer and dancer, yet still treated as a 'less than equal' novelty act, even by the enlightened Sinatra"
    I enjoy the Dean Martin Roasts. I also Love that a show on Cable at 12:15am on a network called ADULTswim is being hated and banned cause children may see it

who are the Deadbeat parent tat letts any child under 15-16 from being up that late at night on mostly a school night (12:15am Monday)
    2008, 2010 & 2011 TOONZONE FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION
    Owner: Moto Pete

****** Now 2009 Guidelines compliant ****

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Morel Orel is IMO lame beyond belief. It's strictly Amateur Hour. While watching it I once wondered if the person behind it had a vendetta against religion, because the "humor" is so clunky (when it's there). The show's only purpose doesn't seem to be comedic, it's just a bash against religion. Boring!

When I want to see good satire, I watch South Park. There's no other show that handles it as well.

Lutochris is offline Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love how the PTC defines this as "heavy-handed propaganda", and 7th Heaven as "a refreshing look at a functional, traditional American family".

SirLemming is offline a playa in a world of NPCs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Despite where this is coming from, I sort of agree with a lot of it. It's a fairly good exploration of why the show is so lame. Not that I'd say it's an evil show or anything.
    THE CASTLE OF SIR LEMMING
    THIS MONTH'S UPDATE: Christmas Countdown! 25 Christmas songs of interest.

Classic Speedy is online now It's not Regis!
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is comedy?

But “Orel” really departs from earth-bound reality when its crazy Christians hit the streets to protest and purify the world for God. In one episode, the plot includes protesters outside a Denny’s-style restaurant, screaming: “Hate! Hate! Hate! When the gluttons put on weight!” A sign claims “God Hates Fats,” and protesters yell at a heavy-set woman coming out of the restaurant, “God hates you, Fatty! God hates you, you’re going to Hell.”

In another episode, Orel joins the uptight town librarian “Miss Censordoll” on a loopy parade of ridiculous rants. It begins with protesting the faithful 1964 movie on the life of Jesus titled “The Greatest Story Ever Told” at the local theatre, since the film is so “boring” it leads people to “whoring.” It gets even more bizarre, as these ersatz Christians stoop to protesting supposedly godless institutions like a blood bank, a coffee shop, and a hospital. It ends with Orel’s crusade to ban eggs from the town.
    Those are the worst episodes in the series. The reviewer ought to try watching "Waste", "God-Fearing", "Pleasure", "Satan", and "The Blessed Union".
    "Ah, crusty pants, a filthy wall, good morning!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a tragic comedy, that's all there is too it. Some people like it cause it's funny to them, others get a nod at how horrldy wrong the chracters have understood the relgion (And here's the thing, Religion's only the sorce code, peoples are the compiler, a compiler can corrupt the sorce-code and leave you with a horrdly compiled "society" (and I patent this turn of phrase indicently)) and some even look at it go, "Yes, that's totaly me minus this and that".

That's the draw of Orel to me.

If you don't get it, fine, I don't get mouse.

oofadoofa is offline Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, the good old PTC. How I love them.

livingfruitvirus is offline No! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's funny. What I don't understand is their definition of wholesome, "gimmie those ribs, you" entertainment. "They never introduced a rancorous note of personal invective." How does the PTC know that? There wasn't an internet back then to look up info and interviews on. Was Bugs and Elmer appearing in blackface also wholesome and good-natured?

Jeff Harris is offline Creator/Webmaster, TXB
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think Moral Orel offends the PTC not because it's "not funny," but because it touches a sensitve nerve within the core of the group. Moral Orel exposes the manic, naive, borderline paranoia of the evangelical side of Christianity.

Background on me before I continue: I was born in Portsmouth, VA, birthplace of Pat Robertson's whole evangelical empire and Jim and Tammy-Faye Bakker's career. My grandfather was a Catholic school graduate and served as a Trustee at a Baptist church. My great-grandmother was a deaconess at a Baptist church. I am a Christian. I am Baptist, National Baptist, not Southern Baptist. I live under a certain law, but I don't impose my beliefs on anyone. I'm not a freak nor a robot.

So, needless to say, I like Moral Orel and get the humor.

Orel's escapades often stems from his misunderstandings of the teachings of the people around him, who are the stereotypical Christians that the media loves to shove in my face (not to say that there aren't Christians like that; just because they make up the "Moral Majority" doesn't mean they speak for all of us as all news media tends to make it seem). He learns from his actions in the end.

Strange as it seems, Moral Orel is probably one of the most positive shows on the Adult Swim block. Is it for everyone? Heck no. People will get offended. But does it make it bad? Absolutely not. I think that the PTC feels offended because Moral Orel makes fun of the ideals that make up their mission as well as the reactionaries that make up the group.

You want to know why there are scenes of Christians protesting in Moral Orel? Because there are scenes of Christians protesting EVERYWHERE about almost everything. The show makes fun of those who think everything and everyone that's not like them nor fit their criteria of standards are just wrong and should be banned, ignored, and dropped.

Kind of reminds me of another group of similar thinking individuals that wants entertainment to fit their beliefs denying those who feel otherwise a chance to show something different.

I'm talking about the Spanish Inquisition!

Weren't expecting that? Hmm, nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.

I meant to say L. Brent and his own inquisition. He's just a pathetic little man, complaining about a show that comes on Sunday nights at 12:15 AM when parents and children are usually asleep. Sad and pathetic. Leave little Orel alone. He doesn't know any better.
    What does the X stand for? It's definitely not Extreme. Extreme starts with E.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast