toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Ed Liu is offline Grumpy Gorilla
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cowboy Bebop: Dub or Sub?

Like This Thread!
    Howdy all,

My wife and I just picked up the Ultimate Box for Cowboy Bebop over the weekend and have been watching the DVDs over the past few nights. Normally, I'm much more of a subtitles kind of guy, but I've found much to my surprise that I actually like the dub job of CB more than the subtitles. Part of the reason is that I can distinguish the voices better in the English version, but part of it is that the dubbed translation seems to "work" better in English than the subtitled one. I'm thinking specifically of the explanation of the ring in "Sympathy for the Devil," but there are other examples.

The boxed set kicks major boo-tay, too.

So, which do you guys prefer? Dub or sub?

-- Ed/Ace

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cowboy Bebop: sub or dub?

Dub. The Japanese vioces sare good but not as good as the English ones.

Calhoun07 is offline It's Me
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Definately dub. I am not against subbed, I will watch anime if it's subbed, but if there is an option to have dubbed, I will prefer that.
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

“If I had to live my life over again, I would treat women worse. The women who I treated nice always turned around and treated me bad and the women who treated me bad didn’t deserve to be treated nice anyway.”

Leaping Larry Jojo is offline Searching for a map
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Most anime fans have agreed that the dub is very good, and often preferable to the Japanese one. I guess it's because CB is so western in feeling anyway (though with Japanese philosophies tucked in the show).

Killtacular is offline the race wars had begun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not to mention the fact that the voices don't SUCK like other dubs.

Faye is just average compared to the others, which are above-average.

Fata Morgana is offline Shaka, when the walls fell
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny you should say that, Matt. I've always considered Wendee Lee's Faye among the best of the English voices. In fact, I would go so far as to say that hers in the only performance that actually surpases her Japanese counterpart. The rest of the voices equal the Japanese actors performances, but Wendee Lee adds a dimension to Faye that isn't present in Megumi Hayashibara's performance.

Anyway, as to the question - I most definately prefer the English version of CB to the Japanese version. It just sounds right in English, and the actors put forth some truly stellar performances. Most of the time I hate dubs, but that's only because most of the time dubs are done horribly. The CB dub shows the love that the crew had for the material. The only voice that I liked better in the Japanese version is Ed's, but that doesn't mean that Melissa Charles didn't do a good job. It's just that Aoi Toda is Ed.

Here's an article that the dub crew did for Akadot, it's quite interesting:

http://www.akadot.com/article/article-bebop1.html

It really shows you why the English dub is so good.

Fata Morgana
    Last edited by Fata Morgana; 12-12-2001 at 04:04 PM.
    The Jazz Messengers: A viewers' guide to Cowboy Bebop
    Cowboy Bebop.org - archive of Cowboy Bebop.com. Read Bebop: UT!

ChibiOtaku Guest
    Faye was dubbed almost flawlessly all the way to her last scene with Spike. At that point, bah... the dub sounds like a teacher who caught a student smoking in the restroom, ALL the emotion is gone from that voice...
    but thats just my opinion

Evil Dr. Reef is offline The King of Braves
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Faye's voice

ChibiOtaku posted

Faye was dubbed almost flawlessly all the way to her last scene with Spike. At that point, bah... the dub sounds like a teacher who caught a student smoking in the restroom, ALL the emotion is gone from that voice...
    I dunno... I think that maybe it was TOO emotonal. Like Fata Morgana said, Wendee Lee did a wonderful job here, but I'm wondering if maybe she overdid it a little...

The Mad Hatter is offline Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the link, Fata!

My philosophy is that if a dub is done reasonably well, I'll take that, otherwise I'll stick to the sub. Cowboy Bebop's dub was done EXCEPTIONALLY well... I've found I like the English Spike a bit better than the Japanese Spike.
    Robert Evatt

You read it... you can't un-read it!

Jowy Blight is offline Chillin' Out
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    For once, I've gotta say that the dub is better then the sub. It just feels so.......right, with the dub voices.
    "To be upset over what you don't have is to waste what you do have."