toonzoneAnimation News : Blog : Forums : TV Schedules : Wiki : Comics : Hosted : CD! : Forums  

toonzone forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Crazy Pineapple is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Samurai Champloo - Series Edit Lists

Like This Thread!

Brent Long Edit Lists Presents:
    Samurai Champloo - Series Edit Lists

Hello everybody, welcome to my edit lists for the series of Samurai Champloo listing all of the edits made to the series to make it suitable for air on the Adult Swim block on Cartoon Network. I have before done edit lists for Dragon Ball's Piccolo Jr. Saga and since then I've revised my format of edit lists. Now, I will list every edit made to the series including edits made not for content, but just to make it more televised like fade ins and fade outs added before and after a commercial break, the cutting of commercial bumpers, and the acceleration of closing credits. To make glancing over to see what was edited out of a particular episode for content easier I have placed General Edits and my Side Notes into their own category. To explain all of the terms, General Edits are edits done to every episode that were not done as so for graphic or adult content, but just to make things more suited to television. The individual episode edit lists list what was edited in that episode for content. The Side Notes list things that are interesting to point out that may have something to do with edits or they may not. They list things like interesting things to note that were changed from the Japanese subtitled version to the English dub presented on Adult Swim. They also list translations for the Japanese text shown throughout the series.

Samurai Champloo - General Edits

Video Edit #1: Geneon splash logo sequence added at the beginning of each episode. This sequence is presented on the DVDs before the menu loads up and not before the show itself as presented here. Length - 12 Seconds.

Video Edit #2: "Presented by Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc." screen added after the splash logo sequence and before the opening. On the DVDs this was presented after the splash logo sequence and before the menu loads up. Length: 7 Seconds.

Video Edit #3: Fade out placed right before every commercial break. Originally every episode just went straight to the bumper without a fade or any sort of transition.

Video Edit #4: First bumper of every episode cut. Samurai Champloo has a set of bumpers for every episode each being two seconds in length and I'll continue to post pictures of each set throughout the run.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 1 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 2 - Bumper 1 - Picture 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 2 - Bumper 1 - Picture 2

Samurai Champloo - Episode 2 - Bumper 1 - Picture 3

Samurai Champloo - Episode 3 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 4 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 5 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 6 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 7 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 8 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 9 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 10 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 11 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 12 - Bumper 1

All First Bumpers Lengths: 2 Seconds.

Video Edit #5: Second bumper of every episode cut. Again, Samurai Champloo has a set of bumpers for every episode each being two seconds in length and I'll continue to post pictures of each set throughout the run.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 1 - Bumper 2

Samurai Champloo - Episode 2 - Bumper 2

Samurai Champloo - Episode 3 - Bumper 2

Samurai Champloo - Episode 4 - Bumper 2

Samurai Champloo - Episode 5 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 6 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 7 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 8 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 9 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 10 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 11 - Bumper 1

Samurai Champloo - Episode 12 - Bumper 1

All Second Bumpers Length: 2 Seconds

Video Edit #6: Fade in placed right after every commercial break. Originally every episode just went right from the bumper to the 2nd half of the episode.

Video Edit #7: The closing credits are sped up as per usual with Adult Swim. You can tell this by how fast Fuu's hair flies in the wind and how fast the waves rush against the shore where these things originally went more slowly. Unlike most other Adult Swim shows these credits aren't generalized and every episode has their own individual credits sequence and all of them are just edited in the same way.

Audio Edit #3: First 57 seconds of closing credits audio cut to accompany the video being sped up. The last 7 seconds are also cut off and a fade out is added at the end.

Side Note #1: Strangely episode 5 had the video sped up quite a bit faster and the audio wasn't cut off at the beginning like usual. Instead the closing theme ran from the beginning, but cut off at 36 seconds when the closing stopped. I'll see how this works out with future episodes and change my lists accordingly when I have definite information.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 1 - Tempestuous Temperaments - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sound effects played over Jin's "sh*t" from Jin's line "Even if that lord is an unimportant piece of sh*t?" when he confronts the Prefectural Governor's guards.

Audio Edit #2: Mugen's "Sh*t." changed to "Huh?" right when the mob appears before the coin finally drops.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 2 - Redeye Reprisal - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sounds played over Mugen's "sh*t" when Hotaru informs him about Ryujiro kidnapping Fuu.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 3 - Hellhounds for Hire Part 1 - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 4 - Hellhounds for Hire Part 2 - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "sh*t" in Mugen's line "What's with this sh*t?" when the Nagatomi gang members croiwd around Sousuke and Jin.

Audio Edit #2: Techno beats played over the "a**hole" in Mugen's line "Get back here you a**hole!" when he chases Sousuke and Jin as they escape from the brothel.

Audio Edit #3: Record scratch played over the "bullsh*t" in Mugen's line "My point is that's a bunch of a bullsh*t." when Mugen confronts Rikiei the boss of the Nagatomi gang.

Audio Edit #4: Record scratches played over the "mofo" in Mugen's line "If you send someone after me do me a favor, send the toughest mofo you can find." when Mugen desserts Rikiei the boss of the Nagatomi gang.

Audio Edit #5: Rikiei's "Sh*t" muted when he rises before he flees the gambling house.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 5 - "Artistic Anarchy" - Edit List

Video Edit # 1: Pan over the Ukiyo-e painting of a man tieing up the woman's hands digitally slowed down one second to accomodate for Video Edit #2 which cuts one second of footage.

Video Edit #2: Ukiyo-e painting of the man raping the woman cut from sequence of paintings. Length: 1 Second

Video Edit #3: Woman's nipples digitally removed from another painting of the man raping the woman.

Video Edit #4: Woman's nipple digitally removed from the Ukiyo-e painting of the man grabbing the woman's breast and licking her neck.

Audio Edit #1: Mugen's "sh*t" muted out when he rises from behind the shrine offering box.

Video Edit #5: Ukiyo-e painting blurred out from the catalog that Manzo shows when he makes his arrest.

Video Edit #6: Fuu's nipple diggitally removed in the series of close-ups shown by Hishikawa to Fuu on the boat.

Video Edit #7: Sunflower digitally extended to cover Fuu's left breast completely in Hishikawa's painting. As Kyle Pope said this is strange because one of the last shots revealed that her breast was exposed in the painting.

Video Edit #8: Sunflower digitally extended in Van Gogh's painting to cover up Fuu's left breast the same way as the Hishikawa painting.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 6 - "Stranger Searching" - Edit List

Video Edit #1: Hard subtitles added at the beginning of the episode for the message about the Shogunate. On the DVD these were available as subtitles that could be turned off and looked much different than the ones that are embedded in the video here.

Video Edit #2: Hard subtitles added for the contest sign.

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "sh*t" in Mugen's "You're sh*t out of luck." when he shoots down Jouji's offer.

Video Edit #3: Hard subtitles added for the Kaminarimon sign.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches played over the "assh*le" in Mugen's "This ain't no time to be stingy Assh*le!" when he asks Jouji for his swords to battle the policeman in the restaurant.

Video Edit #4: Hard subtitles added for all of the Dutch dialogue spoken for the episode.

Video Edit #5: Hard subtitles added for the card about the Edo arc ending and the Nagasaki arc beginning at the very end of the episode.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 7 - " A Risky Racket" - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 8 - "The Art of Altercation" - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 9 - "Beatbox Bandits" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "sh*t" in Mugen's "I didn't even understand a freakin' word of that sh*t you're spewin'." when he responds to the insults of the Tengu leader at their rally.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 10 - "Lethal Lunacy" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "Assh*le" in Mugen's "What an assh*le!" after he defeats Momoi's guards.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches played over the Bridge Thug Boss' "Sh*t!" after Shoryu slashes his henchmen.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 11 - "Gamblers and Gallantry" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over Mugen's "Piece of sh*t!" after his beetle Rodriguez loses the first match.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches played over the "sh*tload" in Mugen's "I'll soon be making a sh*tload of cash with this bad boy." when Fuu confronts him about quitting his job as a bodyguard.

Audio Edit #3: Shino's husband's "Assh*le!" muted after Jin hurts his hands

Samurai Champloo - Episode 12 - "The Disorder Diaries" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "sh*t" in Mugen's "I mean, if you stop and think about it we don't know jacksh*t about this sunflower dude, do we?".

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches payed over the "sh*t" in Mugen's "And this latest sh*t, now she expects us to go all the way to Nagasaki!".

Video Edit #1: Sunflower digitally extended to cover Fuu's left breast completely in Hishikawa's painting.

Video Edit #2: Woman's nipples digitally removed from the Ukiyo-e painting of the man raping the woman.

Video Edit #3: Woman's nipple digitally removed from the Ukiyo-e painting of the man grabbing the woman's breast and licking her neck.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 13 - "Misguided Miscreants, Part 1" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over Mugen's "Holy sh*t!" after the dynamite starts pouring out of the barrel.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 14 - "Misguided Miscreants, Part 2" - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over Mugen's "Holy sh*t!" after the dynamite starts pouring out of the barrel in the recap.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratch played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "If you're here to start some sh*t with me you better be ready to die!".

Samurai Champloo - Episode 15 - "Bogus Booty" - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 16 - Lullabies of the Lost, Verse 1 - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "Mofo" in the rapper's "On the peaks in the snow he's a spooky mofo.".

Samurai Champloo - Episode 17 - Lullabies of the Lost, Verse 2 - Edit List

Video Edit #1: In the special closing credits the video is sped up 35 seconds into it.

Audio Edit #1: Audio cut off in the special closing credits at 34 seconds to accomodate the video being sped up in Video Edit #1.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 18 - War of the Words - Edit List

Video Edit #1: Digital mosaic added to the casual women's breasts in the historical recap. There actually already was mosaic in the original over the left woman's middle finger and the tattoo on the right women's left arm so the mosiac here is just added onto that.

Video Edit #2: Casual woman in wife beater's nipple digitally removed in the historical recap.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 19 - Unholy Union - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "Sure she isn't making this sh*t up?" when he asks Fuu about Yuri after Fuu wakes up.

Video Edit #1: To Be Continued screen cut. Length: 3 Seconds

Samurai Champloo - Episode 20 - Elegy of Entrapment Verse 1 - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches played over the "Bullsh*t" in Mugen's "I think that's a bunch of bullsh*t." when he's in the springs with Sara.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "No sh*t, I wouldn't have said no either." in response to Fuu sadly telling him that she thought Jin would have refused leaving with Sara.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 21 - Elegy of Entrapment Verse 2 - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches placed over Mugen's "Sh*t!" during the beginning of his remacth with Sara.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 22 - Cosmic Collisions - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 23 - Baseball Blues - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Record scratches placed over the "F**k" in Joey Cartwright's "Huh? F**k them!" after the town consul explains the legal policy for foreign ships.

Audio Edit #2: Record scratches played over Joey Cartwright's "G*ddamn!" when he goes up to bat after Mugen makes a catch with his sandal.

Audio Edit #3: Record scratches played over the downed American player's "Jesus" after Mugen rises from his last faceoff with Doubleday.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 24 - Evanescent Encounter (Part 1) - Edit List

COMPLETELY UNEDITED

Samurai Champloo - Episode 25 - Evanescent Encounter (Part 2) - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Rhythmic beats played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "Aw sh*t!" after Kariya blasts him away.

Audio Edit #2: Rhythmic beats played over the "Sh*t" in Umanosuke's "You worhtless piece of sh*t!"

Video Edit #1: Samurai Champloo logo and copyrights from the beginning of next episode (along with it's music) included by accident.

Samurai Champloo - Episode 26- Evanescent Encounter (Part 3) - Edit List

Audio Edit #1: Rhythmic beats played over Mugen's "Sh*t!" after Umanosuke knocks him down at the beginning of the episode.

Audio Edit #2: Rhythmic beats played over the "P*ssy" in Mugen's "You want me to have a taste of how you feel, then quit talking like a p*ssy." when Umanosuke had him up against a wooden pillar.

Video Edit #1: The commercial break has been moved from it's original spot right after Fuu's childhood memory to when Kariya backs Fuu up on the cliff and tells her that he condones her dieing an honarable death by jumping off.

Audio Edit #3: Rhythmic beats played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "I've had enough of this sh*t." when he and Umanosuke take their battle out to the beach.

Audio Edit #4: Record scratches played over the "Sh*t" in Mugen's "Sh*t, It's only you." when Fuu wakes him up on the beach.

Audio Edit #5: First 59 seconds of the lyrics portion of the closing song cut to accomodate for the sped up video.

Video Edit #2: Closing credits sped up from the original 2:11 to 1:14. Length: 57 Seconds.
    Last edited by Crazy Pineapple; 03-09-2006 at 02:04 AM.

KarlOlson is offline Art Imitates Life
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Long

Brent Long Edit Lists Presents:

Samurai Champloo - Episode 1 - Tempestuous Temperaments - Edit List

Video Edit #1: Geneon splash logo sequence added at the beginning. This sequence is presented on the DVDs before the menu loads up and not before the show itself as presented here. Length - 12 Seconds.

Video Edit #2: "Presented by Geneon Entertainment (USA) Inc." screen added after the splash logo sequence and before the opening. On the DVDs this was presented after the splash logo sequence and before the menu loads up. Length: 7 Seconds.

Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sound effects played over Jin's "****"

Video Edit #3: Fade out placed right before commercial break. Originally this just went straight to the bumper without a fade or any sort of transition.

Video Edit #4: First bumper cut - Length: 2 Seconds.

Video Edit #5: Second bumper cut - Length: 2 Seconds

Video Edit #6: Fade in placed right after commercial break. This originally just went right from the bumper to the 2nd half of the episode.

Video Edit #7: The closing credits are sped up as per usual with Audlt Swim. You can tell this by how fast Fuu's hair flies in the wind and how fast the waves rush against the shore where these things originally went more slowly. Unlike most other Adult Swim shows these credits aren't generalized and are episode 1 specific. Next week's episode will prove if these are going to be episode specific for the whole run or if this credit sequence crediting episode 1 characters will continue for the whole run.

Audio Edit #2: Closing credits' audio cut first 57 seconds to accompany the video being sped up. The last 7 seconds are also cut off and a fade out is added at the end.

So in other words, there was really only one edit of any note (everything else being technical coddling to put it on TV,) namely the language edit, and that was pretty much expected. And in fact, the record scratch bleeps are a cool way to handle it.

I think Kyle will be happy about this. Granted, in talking with him, he didn't think there would really be much to edit content-wise in this episode anyway outside of language. He figures the bigger challenges will be a bit farther down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Olson
    So in other words, there was really only one edit of any note (everything else being technical coddling to put it on TV,) namely the language edit, and that was pretty much expected. And in fact, the record scratch bleeps are a cool way to handle it.

I think Kyle will be happy about this. Granted, in talking with him, he didn't think there would really be much to edit content-wise in this episode anyway outside of language. He figures the bigger challenges will be a bit farther down the road.
    I know that I did get pretty complicated, but all these things are edits that Geneon or Williams Street made to put the series on television and therefore are worth listing.

Lord Dalek is online now Uncreative Hack
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually Pioneer got the ball rolling in terms having their logo at the beginning of shows with Lupin III.

True Noir is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    From all those Geneon logo things added in the beginning, you could really tell they are trying to get there name out there.

Audio Edit #1: Record scratching sound effects played over Jin's "****"
    So this was the real edit.
    Side Note #5: Some of you may have noticed a little bit of Bebop reunion in this episode particularly. Matsunosuke Shibui, or the Prefectural Governor was played by Beau Billingslea who played Jet Black on Cowboy Bebop. Mugen is played by Daniel Andrews also known as David Lucas who played Spike Spiegal on Cowboy Bebop. Fuu is played by Kari Wahlgren who played Haruko in FLCL.
    Ha! I knew it. Awesome cast indeed.
    "I'm gonna lose my mind and sail the ocean, 'cause somebody told me there were cherry blue skies. I'm gonna fix my mind with a final destination and have a deep sleep upon a sweet dream and never realize." - "Vegas", Sara Bareilles

|Sara Bareilles Little Voice debuts July 3, 2007|

*currently #2 on iTUNES best selling albums*

G1Ravage is offline Senior Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Weren't there blood edits too? Sure looked like it.
    Vegas...now??

The Landstander is offline Thanks ants. Thants.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

For simplicity sake

Just so we don't have an overflow of edit list threads, why don't you just keep this as the general Samurai Champloo edit list thread? Just bump it whenever needed.
    ~_~

vegetable is offline tastes good with buffalo sauce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage
    No. In fact, close to the end of the show most of the blood is airbrush spray or just quick, hard-to-catch streaks. So sorry to disappoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G1Ravage
    Nope not a one. I went through frame by frame in every fight scene. There wasn't very much blood in there originally and all the light streaks were there originally.

Quote Originally Posted by The Landstander
    Just so we don't have an overflow of edit list threads, why don't you just keep this as the general Samurai Champloo edit list thread? Just bump it whenever needed.
    Yeah, alright, that sounds fine. I just didn't think that the board was too cluttered and this being a week by week basis wouldn't overflow, but I don't mind.

Could a mod please place a PG-13 in the threasd title and change back the Jin's "****" to what it originally was. Considering how many four-letter words there are in the English language people could become confused as to which word was censored.

I have decided that if the Geneon logos, the cut bumpers, the fade ins and outs, and the sped up closing credits are the same next week then I'll place all of those into a general edits category that refers to every episode while individual episodes will only list edits that are specific to that episode.

I was wondering if people just wanted me to post my edit lists in new replies every week or just edit them into my first post. I was thinking that first post sounds better so that people don't have to search throught the thread frantically looking one.
    Last edited by Crazy Pineapple; 05-16-2005 at 02:50 AM.

guinaevere is offline agent provocateur
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

justifty this, jack.

Could a mod please place a PG-13 in the threasd title and change back the Jin's "****" to what it originally was. Considering how many four-letter words there are in the English language people could become confused as to which word was censored.
    haha. No.

From the TZASB&WS: Rules
    K.) So since this is the AS board, I get to swear all of the time, right? Yay! Swearing is cool!

blah blah blahdiddy blah... REMEMBER: NOTHING WORSE THAN WHAT YOU HEAR ON AS.

Now I'm spoiled for the OVA, and I've only watched the original "Bubbles Vanderbilt" series and the followup "Bubbles Vanderbilt Z"
    --Aurora Szalinski
    I have another question, as well... what happened to the first two Bubbles Vanderbilts?
    --Kury Wagner

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast