Walt Disney Animation has officially announced a sequel to its 2012 feature film Wreck-It Ralph. The news was first announced through a live video on Facebook, where director Rich Moore was joined by screenwriter Phil Johnson and Ralph actor John C. Reilly to break the news to fans.
For the sequel, Phil Johnson will be co-directing the film with Moore. In addition to John C. Reilly as Ralph, Sarah Silverman will reprise her role as his pint-sized companion and friend Vanellope von Schweetz. Reilly summed up the plot of Wreck-It Ralph 2 with the statement that “Ralph leaves the arcade and wrecks the internet.”
According to Moore, Wreck-It Ralph 2 was being planned shortly after the release of the first film and prior to when work began on this year’s Zootopia, which he co-directed with Byron Howard. In Disney’s written announcement, Moore suggested there would appearances from other characters from the original film beyond Ralph and Vanellope: “Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them—and the actors who voice them—once again.”
Wreck-It Ralph 2 will debut in theaters on March 9, 2018. This date had previously been set for Nathan Greno’s Gigantic, Disney’s attempt at interpreting the English fairy tale “Jack and the Beanstalk”. In its written announcement, Disney confirmed that Gigantic will now debut later that year on November 21, 2018.
UPDATED: Disney’s official press release follows:
WALT DISNEY ANIMATION STUDIOS WELCOMES WRECK-IT RALPH BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN FOR A SMASHING SEQUEL
Original Voice Cast Members John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman Set to Return
Ralph Wrecks the Mobile Game Disney Crossy Road in Celebration of the Announcement
BURBANK, Calif. (June 30, 2016) – Wreck-It Ralph is heading back to the big screen, and this time, he’s wrecking the internet. The Oscar®-nominated Walt Disney Animation Studios team from the original film is reteaming for the follow-up, including director Rich Moore (“Zootopia,” “The Simpsons”) and producer Clark Spencer (“Zootopia,” “Bolt”). Phil Johnston (writer, “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Zootopia,” “Cedar Rapids”) joins Moore as director and a writer on the project. John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman return as the bad-guy-turned-good, Ralph, and the girl with the game-winning glitch, Vanellope von Schweetz. The untitled sequel will hit theaters—literally—on March 9, 2018.
The filmmakers and Reilly made the announcement on Facebook Live today: https://www.facebook.com/Disney/videos/10153760073335954/
“From the moment we started working on the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph,’ we knew there were so many possibilities with these characters,” said Moore, who has been developing it since shortly after the release of the first film, and while directing this year’s critically-acclaimed hit “Zootopia” with Byron Howard. “This time, Ralph’s wrecking wreaks havoc on the Web—as only he can do. Characters we loved in the first film are back and we are ecstatic to be working with them—and the actors who voice them—once again.”
“The world of the internet is the perfect place to send Ralph and Vanellope,” said Johnston. “The scope and scale are so vast and the possibilities for comedy are endless.”
“Ralph is a character very near and dear to my heart,” added Reilly. “I’m really looking forward to playing the big lug again. Making the first ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ was one of the most special experiences I’ve ever had and I’m really looking forward to bringing him back to life. So many kids I’ve met all over the world are excited to see him again, too. They tell me all the time!”
When “Wreck-It Ralph” opened on Nov. 2, 2012, it turned in the highest opening weekend ever for a Walt Disney Animation Studios film at the time of release. Nominated for an Oscar® and Golden Globe® for best animated feature, “Wreck-It Ralph” won the PGA Award for outstanding producer of an animated theatrical motion picture as well as five Annie Awards, including best animated feature, director, cast and screenplay. The film was named best animated feature by the Broadcast Film Critics Association, earned outstanding achievement in casting for an animated feature by the Casting Society of America, and won the Kids’ Choice Award for favorite animated movie.
DISNEY CROSSY ROAD WRECKED
At 12 p.m. PT today, Disney’s hit mobile game, Disney Crossy Road, will be wrecked by Ralph in celebration of the announcement. As fans play through the 12 different Disney and Pixar worlds of Disney Crossy Road, Ralph may appear and ‘wreck’ part of their gameplay.
“Wreck-It Ralph has been one of the most popular worlds to play in Disney Crossy Road, so it made perfect sense to celebrate Ralph’s return by letting him go outside his world and ‘wreck’ other parts of the game,” said Chris Heatherly, SVP & GM, Disney Apps and Games. “We are big fans of the first film, as are our players, and can’t wait to see how the next chapter unfolds.”
The animated feature “Gigantic,” originally announced as Disney’s March 9, 2018, release, will be released on November 21, 2018.