Adult Swim is one of those rare networks that will give its creators as much time as they need to create each season of their shows — which is both a blessing and a curse; a blessing on the creators’ end and a curse for everyone else.
By now people are seriously starting to wonder why we still don’t have new episodes of AS’s biggest hit of the 2010’s, Rick and Morty, and they’ve taken to bothering creator Dan Harmon on social media just about every day. “Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet? Is it done yet?” Normally Harmon responds in his usual Harmon-y way by screaming and swearing at them, but for one brief sober moment, he decided to explain the predicament in plain English.
Earlier this week, in an interview with Indiewire, Harmon said the main reason the season is late is because he and co-coreator Justin Roiland are “fighting all the time.” Now he was getting questions about that, so in a total of 15 tweets, he decided to clarify:
1. Re: confusion/concern about my comments in Indiewire interview re: Rick and Morty. The “fights” I refer to aren’t “the reason 4 delay”
2. The “fights” also aren’t what you call a fight when you have one in your home or street. I’m talking about fights like “what joke to do.”
3. It’s the statements back to back that’s confusing: I was saying “the buck stops with me and justin.” It was our usual perfectionism, etc.
4. Then, I was moving on, in trademark rambling, to try to express how hard and confusing it can be in a RAM writers room. Chasing tails.
5. I understand and we are flattered that in an information vacuum, with the show so late, any morsel of info is going to have huge weight.
6. But the truth is not dramatic. It’s quite boring. We love our show. It’s a weird show that we struggle to not overthink OR underthink.
7. As for now, they’re drawing it. We don’t update on exactly where every episode is in pipeline for two reasons (uh oh sub enumeration):
8. One is that we want you harassing the bosses as opposed to hard-at-work artists and editors, or writers that finished months ago.
9. The other is that it is out of our jurisdiction to discuss schedule. That’s Adult Swim’s biz. Totally unrelated. Hence the info shortage.
10. So, I’m sorry I can’t say “we fractured a creative valve in sector 3” or “it’s Paul’s fault. GET HIM!” No hidden truth. We slow. Sorry.
11. Part of what I was trying to express is that WE would sit and ponder, what’s the problem here, how can we write faster, why we so slow?
12. And then we’d go “what made us faster in season 1” and then we’d go “we didn’t sit here talking about this, let’s just do this,” etc.
13. I tell you, as a self destructively honest guy, Justin and I have literally never fought. Season 3 isn’t late because of “fighting.”
14. In fact, ironically, maybe THAT’s the delay-cause. We respect and terrify each other and always want the other to be happy.
15. Okay that’s it. Keep telling me to release season 3. It accomplishes nothing, It makes you seem 15 and dumb which is fine. See ya soon!