The Video Game Culture of Zombies – How Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One Kicks Off a New Generation of Mayhem took place on Saturday, July 20 at the San Diego Comic-Con 2013. The panel was moderated by Jessica Chobot. The panelists in attendance were Jeff Cork (Senior Editor, Game Informer), Josh Bridge (Executive Producer, Dead Rising 3), Allen Jarvie (Art Director, Dead Rising 3), Max Brooks (Author of The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War). Over the course of the panel the participants touched on their own zombie apocalypse survival plans, games that share common themes with the zombie genre, Dead Rising 3 and how it pushes the zombie genre ahead.
Dead Rising 3 features discussed included:
- More detailed graphics.
- More zombies on screen then previously possible.
- Larger open world map
- Buildings may be entered and explored.
- Use of the SmartGlass app to call down airstrikes that will decimate all of the zombies onscreen.
- Calls from in-game character through SmartGlass.
- Weapons customization.
- Game physics. How driving with zombies attached affects your steering and how in-game physics affects falling glass.
- The game may be played in a straightforward manner or for laughs through weapons customization and costumes.
- Using light and sound to distract or lure zombies.
- Zombie archetypes include cops, firemen, prisoners and football players.
The panel had some very amusing banter between the panelists and some fantastic answers to audience questions. Of note were Jessica Chobot’s favorite zombie video game moment and Max Brooks’ thoughts on why the zombie genre continues to thrive. Read the full article over at walkingdeadforums.com.