SDCC2013: DC Entertainment: All Access Panel Report
The DC Entertainment: All Access panel took place on Thursday, July 18 at the San Diego Comic-Con 2013. Bob Wayne (SVP of Sales) moderated the event. The panelists included Geoff Johns (Chief Creative Officer, DC Entertainment), Jeff Lemire (Green Arrow, Justice League Dark), Gail Simone (Batgirl, The Movement), Tom Taylor (Injustice: Gods Among Us), Brian Buccellato (Flash), Derek Fridolfs (Batman: Arkham Unhinged, Li’l Gotham), Mark Buckingham (Fables) and Adam Hughes (Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan). During the course of the panel they highlighted previously announced and recently launched titles.
- The following trailer was played at the panel to describe the basic story line of Trinity War. In Trinity War, two other super powered teams, Justice League of America and Justice League Dark, are formed to combat the Justice League. This series will pave the way for Forever Evil.
- According to Buccellato, Forever Evil is about what happens when the villains win.
- Lex Luthor is the main character of Forever Evil.
- The title will be available in September.
Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion
- Brian Buccellato will write Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion. The title will feature the Flash rogues. Buccellato described Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion as being similar to The Warriors.
- This title will be available in October.
- In the “Death of a King” story line Aquaman learns dark secrets about his heritage and the origins of Atlantis.
- We’ll learn who the Speed Force Killer is. Iris had previously been trapped in the speed force. While she hasn’t manifested any powers yet, she’s still a target because she touched the speed force.
- A Zero Year crossover will take place in which a “crude, early version” of Green Arrow will meet the Batman.
- Green Arrow’s Forever Evil issue will focus on Count Vertigo.
- Green Arrow is leading up to Green Arrow vs. The Outsiders, which will take place later this year or early next.
- Future stories will focus on Animal Man’s celebrity.
- There was a mention of a space adventure.
- This is an eight issue sci-fi love story.
- Readers will start from both ends of the first issue and meet in the middle.
- Bigby Wolf and Boy Blue will return.
- Buckingham spoke of the Camelot story line in which the focus is on Rose Red, the embodiment of hope. She’ll decide what aspect of hope she represents.
The Unwritten Fables
- Buckingham called it an interesting way to bring the two worlds together.
- Starts in The Unwritten #50.
- Everyone’s at the limit of what they can take. Commissioner Gordon thinks that Batgirl has murdered someone. Barbara Gordon is painfully aware of how much her Batgirl persona is causing strain for her father. She considers taking off the cowl for good.
- According to Simone, The Movement features “a woman of color who happens to be gay”.
- Simone described the title as what the Teen Titans would be if they were created today, in this world of social networking and covert actions.
- Rainmaker, the weather witch from Gen 13 will appear.
The Fables Encyclopedia
- This will be out in October.
- Dustin Nguyen is painting it.
- According to Fridolfs, they have at least four years of stories that are possible.
- A Comic-Con themed story is coming up where, “even Batman has trouble getting tickets.”
Injustice: Gods Among Us
- Readers will learn the reason why Batman and Superman want to beat each other up.
- The annual will feature a crossover between Harley Quinn and Lobo.
The panel then moved on to audience Q&A.
Q. Will there be a bigger brawl between Superman and Shazam in Trinity War?
A. There will be more with Shazam.
Q. What’s Mary Marvel’s new name going to be?
A. She’s currently referred to as Mary. Her new name will be announced soon.
Q. Do you see yourself coming back to Green Lantern. To Geoff Johns. We’ll see.
Q. A fan asked where he could get the Flash mask Buccellato was wearing?
A. The mask was created by Jeff Fowler. https://twitter.com/Evilgeniuspro
Q. Any plans for the Doom Patrol?
A. Bob Wayne would not allow the panel to answer and instead gave the audience member a presumably awesome hat.
Q. A fan asked if Johns had any plans for another Animal Man issue in the future.
A. He told the audience member that he couldn’t say at that moment.
Q. Jeff Lemire was asked about plans to reintroduce Black Canary to Green Arrow.
A. He said they want to explore more story possibilities before they get to that, but it may happen someday.
Q. When will Booster Gold get a title again?
A. The audience member was told to ask Dan DiDio.
Q. When will we learn how Barbara Gordon’s operation?
A. Gail Simone said that pieces are revealed here and there in the comic.
Q. This audience member was excited about Barbara Gordon’s new roommate and wanted to know if this would lead to LGBT story lines in Batgirl.
A. Simone told her that it was not going to be a focus of the Batgirl title. In Batgirl, Barbara Gordon will simply be her best friend.
Q. A fan wanted to know how much of James Robinson’ plans Taylor would be picking up now that he was taking over on the Earth 2 series.
A. Taylor said that they were following Robinson’s set up in some areas and going in their own direction on others. He also indicated that there would be more focus on Batman.
With that, the panel wrapped up. For more information on DC Entertainment and DC Comics, visit the official website.