Pokémon X and Pokémon Y - First Gym Leader and Details on the Kalos Region Released
The Pokémon Company revealed more Pokémon X and Pokémon Y today details. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will begin in Vaniville Town, in the Kalos region. It’s there players will meet Shauna, Tierno, Trevor and Serena or Calem, depending on whether you play as a boy or girl. The following details have been released on each of the new characters:
- Shauna is an incredibly energetic girl who is coming along on the journey to find a dream of her own. She’s friendly and outgoing, and seems to genuinely enjoy all the curiosities you’ll come across on your journey.
- Tierno is the dancer of the group and wants more than anything to create a dance team with his Pokémon. Strong, kind, and light on his feet, Tierno gets easily distracted by watching opposing Pokémon during battles because he’s too busy trying to incorporate Pokémon moves into his dances.
- Trevor bursts with curiosity about the world around him. He’s an excellent student, and very competitive, wanting to be the first of the group to complete his Pokédex.
- Serena or Calem lives next door to you in Vaniville Town. This character has a passion to become a powerful Pokémon Trainer and sets out on the journey to accomplish that dream.
Players will encounter their first Gym Leader in Santalune City. Trainers will learn of Viola through her older sister, Alexa, who works as a journalist for a publishing house in Lumiose City. Viola is a professional photographer who specializes in the photography of Pokémon. The interior of the Santalune City Gym is constructed from spiderweb-like threads, strung together tightly above the darkness. Players will have to find a sage path through these threads.
In addition, four new Pokémon from the Kalos region have been announced. The following details have been released:
- Litleo is a young, hot-blooded Pokémon that is always ready for a battle. A Fire- and Normal-type Pokémon, Litleo’s red mane blazes with heat during battle, which burns hotter when it battles very strong opponents. Litleo knows a new Normal-type move in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, Noble Roar. Useful against strong opponents, Noble Roar intimidates targets and lowers their Attack stat.
- Debuting as a Fairy-type Pokémon along with Sylveon, Flabébé lives atop a flower that it chooses soon after it’s born and will care for its entire life. Players may see different Flabébé holding flowers of different colors when encountering them in the wild. Flabébé is able to draw forth hidden powers that lie within its flower and use those powers in moves while battling. Flabébé knows Fairy Wind, a Fairy-type move debuting in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y that summons a wind that blasts an opponent as it attacks. Like all Fairy-type moves, it’s super effective against Dragon-type Pokémon.
- As Pokémon evolve, they take on new appearances and learn new moves. Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will introduce the Bug-type Pokémon Scatterbug. Scatterbug knows String Shot, a Bug-type move that can lower the Speed stat of opposing Pokémon. Scatterbug evolves into Spewpa, another new Bug-type Pokémon that can withstand half-hearted attacks due to its stiff, fur-covered body. Use the Normal-type move Protect at a beginning of a turn to protect Spewpa from moves used against it on that turn. The final evolved form of Scatterbug, which was revealed earlier this week, is the new Bug- and Flying-type Pokémon Vivillon. It’s said there’s a secret behind the colorful decorative pattern on Vivillon’s wings, which it uses to scatter its scales or create a strong wind to attack. Vivillon can learn Struggle Bug, a Bug-type move that lowers the Special Attack of any opposing Pokémon it hits, so the move not only causes damage but also reduces the damage inflicted on Vivillon from certain moves during battle.
Pokémon X and Pokémon Y will launch worldwide on October 12, 2013 to the Nintendo 3DS and retail for $39.99. For more information on Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, visit pokemon.com/xy , Like the official Pokémon Facebook page at Facebook.com/Pokemon , and follow Pokémon on Twitter @Pokemon .