Cable TV Ratings: "Family Guy" Greater Than "SpongeBob"
Looks like Family Guy is becoming the next SpongeBob, as far as cable TV ratings go. For the third week in a row, Family Guy repeats on Adult Swim have placed in the top 25, which is based on total viewers (age 2+). For the week of July 12 – 18, Family Guy had three spots, with the highest placing #18 with 4.071 million viewers. The other two showings were at #22 and #23 and averaged between 3.7-3.8 million viewers. All three showings were greater than the one SpongeBob showing for the week – at #24 with 3.739 million viewers. Look out SpongeBob!
For the week overall, Disney Channel came very close to taking Nickelodeon down as the #1 network in total day and total viewers. Nickelodeon averaged 2.288 million viewers for the week with Disney Channel just slightly behind with 2.253 million. Cartoon Network was fifth for the week with 1.296 million and Adult Swim followed with 1.219 million. Nick Jr. placed 19th for the week, which ranks all cable TV networks, with an average of 618,000 total viewers. A lot of adults must be watching with their young ones.
Other animated program ratings for the week include:
- The series premiere of Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated on Cartoon Network (Monday at 7PM) was the #1 show in its time period on cable with boys 2-11 and 6-11, with triple-digit gains over the previous year. Some demo breakdowns include, kids 6-11 (929,000), kids 2-11 (1,413,000), kids 9-14 (641,000), boys 6-11 (588,000), boys 2-11 (860,000), and boys 9-14 (351,000).
- A new episode of Adventure Time on Cartoon Network on Monday at 8PM scored 2.475 million total viewers, 1.405 million kids 2-11, 930,000 kids 6-11 and 791,000 kids 9-14.
- Total Drama World Tour, also on Cartoon Network Monday night (9PM), scored 1.117 million kids 2-11, 731,000 kids 6-11 and 673,000 kids 9-14.
- A new episode of TBS’s Neighbors from Hell on Monday at 10PM scored 1.228 million viewers and a 0.5/1 adults 18-49 rating, on par with the previous week’s new episode.
- This week’s new episode of Futurama on Comedy Central (Thursday 10PM) was up about 200,000 viewers week-over-week to 2.204 million viewers and up 0.1 point in the adult 18-49 demo to 1.1/4.
- The Cartoon Network premiere of the mixed live-action and animated film, Looney Tunes: Back in Action, on Saturday at 8PM scored massive triple-digit increases year-over-year. The movie was watched by 1.074 million kids 2-11 (487% increase), 709,000 kids 6-11 (403% increase) and 605,000 kids 9-14 (365% increase).
(All times are Eastern.)
[Sources: Cartoon Network, TVbytheNumbers.com, and Travis Yanan at PIFeedback.com]