"Ponyo" Leads Animation at the Los Angeles Film Festival June 18-28, 2009
The Los Angeles Film Festival will be screening a broad palette of animated programming at this year’s event, running from June 18-28, 2009. Hayao Miyazaki’s Ponyo will be screened for attendees on Sunday, Jun 28, 2009, at 6:30 PM. Several music videos and short films will be screened throughout the event as well.
For more information on ticketing, venues, and scheduled screening times, visit the festival’s official website. The animation-specific programming is listed below:
- Ponyo (DIRECTOR/WRITER Hayao Miyazaki DIRECTORS – ENGLISH VOICE TALENT John Lasseter, Brad Lewis, Peter Sohn WRITER – ENGLISH VERSION Melissa Mathison PRODUCER Toshio Suzuki PRODUCERS – ENGLISH VERSION Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall, Steve Alpert CAST Cate Blanchett, Noah Cyrus, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Frankie Jonas, Cloris Leachman, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White) – From Academy Award-winning director and world-renowned Japanese animation legend Hayao Miyazaki comes Ponyo, a story inspired by Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tale “The Little Mermaid.” Featuring the voices of Cate Blanchett, Noah Cyrus, Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Liam Neeson and Frankie Jonas, this is the story of Ponyo, a young over eager goldfish on a quest to become human who is befriended by a young boy named Sosuke.
- Billís Vistors. Directed by Simon Deshon. England
- The Cable Car. Directed by Claudius Gentinetta, Frank Braun.. Switzerland
- Codswallop. Directed by The Brothers McLeod. England
- I Live in the Woods. Directed by Max Winston. USA
- Photograph of Jesus. Directed by Laurie Hill. England
- Rains (Líondée). Directed by David Coquard-Dassault. Canada
- The Royal Nightmare. Directed by Alex Budosky. USA
- Skhizein. Directed by Jérémy Clapin. France
- Stand Up. Directed by Joseph Pierce. England
- Western Spaghetti. Directed by PES. USA
- 21st Century Life: Sam Sparro. Directed by Mariah Garnett
- Her Morning Elegance: Oren Lavie. Directed by Oren Lavie, Yuval & Merav Nathan
- Fortress: Pinback. Directed by Elliot Jokelson
- Grapevine Fires: Death Cab for Cutie. Directed by Walter Robot
- Mykonos: Fleet Foxes. Directed by Sean Pecknold
- Ruler of Everything: Tally Hall. Directed by Sean Donnelly
- Who’s Gonna Save my Soul: Gnarls Barkley. Directed by Chris Milk
- Graphic Explosion – Adaptations of comic books and graphic novels have proliferated in recent years, and it’s no all superheroes: Sin City , 300, Wanted, and Persepolis all came from graphic novels. A group of filmmakers, artists, writers, and fans explore Hollywood ‘s fascination with the medium and the creative challenges of translating them to the screen. Panelists include Zak Penn (Screenwriter, Incredible Hulk, X-Men: The Last Stand) and Barry Levine (Publisher, Radical Comics).