PR: Warner Home Video Releases "Justice League: The New Frontier" On Feb 26, 2008
(November 27, 2007 – Burbank, CA) – Warner Premiere, DC Comics and Warner Bros. Animation are set to release the all-new original movie “Justice League: The New Frontier” on February 26, 2008 on DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc, distributed by Warner Home Video. Order due date is January 22, 2008. The original movie will also be available OnDemand and Pay-per-View as well as available for download on February 26, 2008.
Based on the graphic novel by Darwyn Cooke and produced by Michael Goguen and animation legend, Bruce Timm, “Justice League: The New Frontier” is the epic tale of the founding of the Justice League. The animated film, written by Stan Berkowitz, features an incredible celebrity-laden voice cast including David Boreanaz, Brooke Shields, Lucy Lawless, Neil Patrick Harris, Miguel Ferrer, Kyra Sedgwick, Jeremy Sisto and Kyle MacLachlan and will be available on DVD for $19.98 SRP. There will also be a 2 disc Special Edition DVD available for $24.98 SRP which contains additional bonus features including a documentary about the pathology of the super villain and three bonus episodes from the “Justice League” animated series selected by Bruce Timm. All the content from the 2-disc Special Edition DVD will be available on HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc.
“The New Frontier” takes viewers on an action-packed adventure, exploring the origins of the Justice League. DC Comics legends Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are all featured in the film as well as Green Lantern, Martian Manhunter and The Flash – as they band together to form the legendary super team. Strangers at first, these very different heroes must overcome fear and suspicion to forge an alliance against a monster so formidable, even the mighty Superman cannot stop it alone. If they fail, the entire planet will be “cleansed” of humanity.
“Justice League: The New Frontier” DVD will feature incredible extras including:
- “Super Heroes United!: The Complete Justice League History” – The documentary is a comprehensive forty seven year Justice League chronology from the inception in the comics to vivid animated renditions. The story is told with a myriad of interviews tracing back the early days of DC Super Hero team ups during the Golden Age, to the Silver Age rendition where the established heroes emerged and beyond. Interviews include Paul Levitz (President of DC Comics), Dan Didio (SVP Executive Editor at DC Comics), Michael Uslan (Historian), Gregory Noveck (SVP Creative Affairs DC Comics), Mark Waid (DC Comics Historian and Writer), Mike Friedrich (Writer JLU), Denny O’Neil (Writer and Editor at DC Comics), Mike Carlin (DC Comics Executive Editor), Stan Lee (Marvel Comics Co-Creator) and Marv Wolfman (Writer of “Fantastic Four”).
- “Sneak Peak: Batman: Gotham Knight” – One part anime, one part Caped Crusader, the result is a glimpse at the world of Eastern anime sensibilities combined with a Western tradition of Batman. A detailed look at the world of Warner Bros. Animation, and how they joined forces with the renowned Japanese animators to create the highly anticipated anime film of 2008.
- “Audio Commentary I” (featuring the talented filmmakers of New Frontier)
- Audio Commentary II” (featuring Comic Book Writer and Artist Darwyn Cooke)
- Widescreen (1.78:1)
- 5.1 Dolby Digital
The 2 disc Special Edition DVD will feature even more incredible extras including:
- “The Legion of Doom: The Pathology of the Super Villain” – This documentary will examine the early mythological archetypes of nemesis characters from a historical perspective, and see how the tenants of this rich history were adapted and woven into the Justice League stories. The bonus feature includes many of the talent included in “Super Heroes United!” as well as Jim Kreuger (Writer of “Justice”).
- “Comic Book Commentary: Homage to the New Frontier” – This documentary is a nod to the fans of the “New Frontier” comic book. This featurette further expands the themes contained in the source material, and how these elements were truncated or evolved for the inclusion in the film. Featuring vivid imagery culled from the pages of the “New Frontier” comic, mixed with the commentary of Writer and Artist Darwyn Cooke, this featurette is a treat for both fans and scholars of the medium.
- “Justice League Unlimited Bonus Episodes” Bruce Timm selects three of his favorite episodes from the “Justice League Unlimited” animated series:
“Having the opportunity to take the unique work of such a legendary comic talent as Darwyn Cooke and create a small screen faithful adaptation of that style is one of the cornerstones in what we hope to develop for core and new fans alike as part of the DC Universe initiative on the Warner Premiere slate,” said Matt Bierman, Vice President Production, Warner Premiere.
“Darwyn Cooke’s ‘New Frontier’ is justifiably considered a modern classic, and we at DC comics are excited to share this thrilling adaptation with the book’s legions of loyal fans. On Feb. 26, DC Universe Animated Movies will lead everyone across the ‘New Frontier,’” said Gregory Novek, Senior Vice President of Creative Affairs, DC Comics.
“Following the huge success of ‘Superman Doomsday,’ we are delighted to be releasing the second DC Universe PG-13 animated movie,” said Amit Desai, WHV Vice President, Family, Animation and Sports Marketing. “‘Justice League: The New Frontier’ will certainly not disappoint fans who have been eagerly awaiting this next action-packed DC Universe installment.”
DC UNIVERSE ORIGINAL MOVIES
DC Comics, Warner Premiere, Warner Home Video (WHV) and Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) began the production and distribution of “DC Universe,” a series of original, animated PG-13 movies in July 2006. This original, made for DVD, movie is part of the DC Universe series of animated PG-13 films written and directed by acclaimed comic book creators and animators and featuring recognizable talent. WHV will be the exclusive worldwide home entertainment distributor for all DC Universe movies which will include a slate of 2-3 action-packed films per year.
About DC Comics
DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Sandman. These DC Super Heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. DC Comics’ Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.
JUSTICE LEAGUE and all related characters and elements are trademarks of and © DC Comics.
About Warner Premiere
Warner Premiere is Warner Bros. Entertainment’s new direct-to-consumer production company focused on the development, production and marketing of feature-length content, as well as short form digital content for the growing home entertainment market. Warner Premiere is committed to being at the creative forefront in the evolution of quality product in the direct-to-DVD business and the digital space, creating material that exemplifies the commitment to story, production and brand equity for which Warner Bros. is known.
About Warner Home Video
With operations in 90 international territories Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video’s film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.
About Warner Bros. Animation
Warner Bros. Animation has been producing award-winning original animation since 1930, when it released its first cartoon, “Sinkin’ in the Bathtub.” Since then, Warner Bros. Animation’s characters have set the standard for innovative, quality animation. Producing for network and cable television, online, home entertainment and feature films both domestically and internationally, Warner Bros. Animation is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as maintaining the studio’s rich cartoon heritage. Warner Bros. Animation also oversees the creative use of, and production of animated programming based on classic animated characters from the Hanna-Barbera and DC Comics libraries. Warner Bros. Animation is one of the most honored animation studios in history, garnering a grand total of six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, a Humanitas Award, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).