SDCC: The Cartoon Network Panel: A Progress Report
Fielding Danny Antonucci (creator of Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy), Julie and Tim Cahill (creators of My Gym Partner Is A Monkey), Joe Murray (creator of Camp Lazlo), Mark O’Hare (producer on Camp Lazlo), Everett Peck (creator of Squirrel Boy), Mr. Warburton (creator of Kids Next Door) and Bob Higgins (senior vice president of programming and production at Cartoon Network), Cartoon Network updated the fans on the progress of some of their series, screened some clips, mentioned their current level of success (the #1 network with boys 6-11) and held a Q&A today at San Diego Comic-Con. Between the Q&A and the progress reports, the following was revealed:
Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy
- The series is now Cartoon Network’s longest running original in terms of how many years it has been in production.
- Season five is wrapping production and season six is slated to run next year.
- There will be both a 30-minute special and a 90-minute special next year as well.
- Just as season five was set in the fall, season six of the series will be set in the winter.
- Almost everyone who asked questions during the Q&A portion asked at least one question about Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy.
Codename: Kids Next Door
- A live action film adaptation is currently being kicked around. Should it come to fruition, the focus will likely be on the genesis of the current characters, including perhaps revealing why Numbah 1 is bald.
- There is a C:KND crossover with another Cartoon Network series in the works, but they cannot yet reveal which series it will be crossing over with.
- The writing and storyboarding for season four is complete.
- There is an episode in the works about Patsy’s father.
- There is an upcoming hour-long special that will tell the story of how the characters ended up at the camp that feature plenty of great Raj stories.
My Gym Partner Is A Monkey
- The writing and storyboarding for season three is complete, and they are already pushing hard into season four.
- There is a special holiday episode slated to air September 10th about a made-up holiday that the animals in the show celebrate.
- There is an hour-long special about a field trip coming up.
- The second season scripts are well underway.
Basically, there was a lot fresh Cartoon Network news, and it was a fairly interesting panel in general. Maybe next year Ed, Edd ‘n Eddy can have its own panel though; the interest certainly seemed to be there for that.
Toon Zone’s coverage live from the San Diego Comic-Con will continue throughout the weekend.