Filmation Version of "Flash Gordon" Coming to DVD (Updated 4/27)
DVDToons reports that the classic Filmation series Flash Gordon is coming to DVD from BCI on July 18. The cartoon is based on the classic comic strip by Alex Raymond that chronicles Flash, Dale Arden, and Dr. Hans Zarkov going to the planet Mongo on a mission to save Earth from a tyrannical space lord named Ming the Merciless. The classic cartoon features the voices of Alan Oppenheimer (He-Man, She-Ra) as Ming the Merciless, Diane Pershing (Batman:The Animated Series) as Dale Arden, and the late Robert Ridgely (Tarzan, Lord of the Jungle, Thundarr the Barbarian) as Flash Gordon.
Flash Gordon: The Complete Series is a 4-disc set that features all 24 episodes from 1979-1981, and includes these features:
• “Blasting off with Flash Gordon”—A 20-minute documentary featuring interviews with creators and historians about Flash Gordon.
• Three episodic commentary tracks—”A Planet in Peril,” “Sir Gremlin,” and “Gremlin’s Finest Hour”—with executive producer Lou Scheimer, writer Tom Ruegger, writer Michael Reaves, animator Darrell McNeil, and host Andy Mangels.
• Interactive storyboard to clip comparison of various stock action sequences
• Extensive gallery of original model sheets for all main heroes and villains
• Detailed profiles of various characters
• Trivia and fun facts
• Two collectible 4×6 exclusive Flash Gordon art cards by acclaimed comic artists Frank Cho and Gene Ha
• Easter Eggs
• DVD ROM Features—scripts, storyboards, and the complete series Bible (PDF format, PC/Mac readable)
• Bonus Preview: Episode #1—”Escape from Mongo”—from the series Defenders of the Earth
The DVD will retail for $39.98 (SRP).
Tvshowsondvd.com says there are 32 episodes in Flash Gordon. The first 16 episodes aired for 22 minutes each (excluding commercials), and there were 16 additional episodes that aired for 11 minutes each. The final 16 episodes will be paired up to make 8 half-hour episodes. Therefore, the set will be complete.